[can.politics] equal opportunities

jchapman@watcgl.UUCP (john chapman) (07/05/85)

Jim Robinson writes:

> In article <2128@watcgl.UUCP> jchapman@watcgl.UUCP (john chapman) writes:
> >If the programs even exist; last I heard your provincial government was
> >cutting down on the ESL (english as a second language) programs/resources
> >in the province.
>
> Unless they changed the rules all immigrants have to know one of the two
> official languages. Thus, I would assume that the ESL program was directed
> at the children of immigrants. If indeed ESL is the quicker way of
> integrating these children into the mainstream, then it would appear
> that cutting back on the program was not one of the brighter moves of
> the Socreds.

 ESL programs are directed at anyone who needs them.  My impression is
 that the majority of participants are adults or young adults (since
 children tend to pick up english in school anyhow).  I had not heard
 of rules barring immigration without proficiency in one of the two
 official languages.  They are either very new or not enforced because
 you can take a walk over to east vancouver and find a lot of adults
 who can't speak a word of english; in fact there was a bit of a row
 about this during the last provincial (I think) election.

 John Chapman

robinson@ubc-cs.UUCP (Jim Robinson) (07/10/85)

I stand corrected. Certain classes of immigrants are (I think) not
required to know at least one of the two official languages, e.g.
retired parents of a permanent resident. However, I still believe that
*unsponsored* would-be immigrants do have to meet the said language
requirement. The reasoning being  that   people who are
expected to earn a living here should not be lacking such a fundamental
tool as the ability to converse with the "natives". It would make
finding gainful employment rather difficult plus there is no
guarantee that  the person would ever learn english and/or french
thus enabling him to become fully productive.

I have no idea what the story is concerning *sponsored* would-be
immigrants who are expected to eventually support themselves.
Since these people have relatives to fall back on it might be
different for them.

[Then again, all of the above could be completely 100% wrong - any of
you lawyers out there involved in immigration?]

J.B. Robinson