[can.politics] opportunits, women

jchapman@watcgl.UUCP (john chapman) (07/06/85)

 As an addendum to my (immediately) previous posting:

 Women are paid less (in part anyway) because it is
 expected that they will have a man to support them.
 Men in turn are paid more because they have to support
 a family.  So to those who complain that equal pay for
 work of equal value will cost too much: if you think
 that the average standard of living is adequate then
 EPFWOEV doesn't have to cost anything extra - we just
 redistribute it.  Personally I think that everyone
 should be paid enough to live a decent life themselves
 but to set salaries so that one half of the population
 can "keep" the other half is ridiculous and then to pay
 minimal (or nothing) to the other half so that they
 are economically dependent is ridiculous in the extreme.
 (not to mention insulting, unfair etc etc).

 John Chapman

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (07/16/85)

In article <2159@watcgl.UUCP> jchapman@watcgl.UUCP (john chapman) writes:
|| 		Personally I think that everyone
|| should be paid enough to live a decent life themselves
|| but to set salaries so that one half of the population
|| can "keep" the other half is ridiculous and then to pay
|| minimal (or nothing) to the other half so that they
|| are economically dependent is ridiculous in the extreme.
|| (not to mention insulting, unfair etc etc).

I agree that every woman who wants to have a career
should be entitled to. But we're never going to see
complete statistical equality, for the simple reason
that many women do not want to work outside the home.
That's nothing to put them down for, of course, and
it also doesn't mean they're "economically dependent".
The fact that my income is sufficient to support our
family hardly means that I am "keeping" my better half.

Dave Sherman
--
{  ihnp4!utzoo  pesnta  utcs  hcr  decvax!utcsri  }  !lsuc!dave

jchapman@watcgl.UUCP (john chapman) (07/18/85)

.
.
.
> || but to set salaries so that one half of the population
> || can "keep" the other half is ridiculous and then to pay
.
.
.

> I agree that every woman who wants to have a career
> should be entitled to. But we're never going to see
> complete statistical equality, for the simple reason
> that many women do not want to work outside the home.
> That's nothing to put them down for, of course, and
> it also doesn't mean they're "economically dependent".
> The fact that my income is sufficient to support our
> family hardly means that I am "keeping" my better half.
>
> Dave Sherman

 But if the majority of mens wages are higher than womens
 based on the premise of men supporting women it is unfair.
 Better to recognize the value of homemakers economically
 and base peoples wages on what is necessary to support
 themselves (pie in the sky I know).

 John Chapman