[can.politics] Buy Local.

idallen@watmath.UUCP (08/11/85)

My point is that by not "paying extra" to support the local industry, you
weaken your clout if the major market for the "global" industry doesn't
include you.  (I imagine most US-based companies operating in Canada are
of this type.)  If the global industry does something you don't like, or
doesn't do something you do like, you and your friends aren't in as strong
a position to influence it as you would be if you and your friends *were*
the major market.  Is that worth paying extra for?

A global industry can suddenly decide your little corner of the world
or your peculiar needs are no longer profitable, and pull out.  You'll
be without that industry until something local gets organized to fill
the gap.  A local industry isn't quite as free to ignore you.  Also, if
the goods and services you buy are tailored to the global mass market,
you might not be able to get the variations suitable for your locale.

I like to encourage others to help me support local industry, and this
usually means "paying extra", if for no other reason than it goes
against economy of scale.  Buying locally doesn't mean "buy Canadian";
it means support the people who are interested in supplying *me* and
who listen to *me*, not the people to whom my purchases appear as
something insignificant.  I want to maintain a balance of power
between me, as a market, and them, as suppliers.  I don't want to be
dictated to.  If I depend on them, let them depend on me.
--
        -IAN!  (Ian! D. Allen)      University of Waterloo

atbowler@watmath.UUCP (Alan T. Bowler [SDG]) (08/17/85)

In article <322@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>the fact remains that
>just about everything is cheaper in the USA.

It is true that many things are cheaper in the US. (Booze for one).
However, a quick walk through Sears will convince you that it is
not even close to "just about everything".  In many cases items
are listed for just about the same price in dollars, which makes them
about 30% more expensive.  This is not true across the board,
but is not at all uncommon either.

peterr@utcsri.UUCP (Peter Rowley) (08/18/85)

As another example of things being cheaper in Canada... it rarely makes sense
to buy books, particularly paperbacks, in the U.S. unless it's a question of
not being able to find them in Canada.  If you look at paperbacks, you will
see two prices: one for the US, one for Canada.  I have never seen any Cdn
price > 1.35*US price, not even close.

In fact, a month or so ago, the front page of the Globe and Mail contained
a short story reporting that over the past decade, Canadian income kept
pace (even did better than) the cost of living, while the opposite was true
in the U.S.

While we're comparing, Canada spends less of its GNP on health care, yet has
universal medicare-- i.e. no-one being tossed out of a hospital because they
couldn't get health insurance such as happens in the U.S.

This really is a pretty decent place to live.

p. rowley, U. Toronto

robinson@ubc-cs.UUCP (Jim Robinson) (08/19/85)

*
Since taxes reduce ones purchasing power, thus increasing the effective
price of goods, consider that:

-The US does not have a "regressive" federal sales tax ( currently 11%
 and rising in Canada ).
-Some states do not have a state sales tax, e.g. Oregon.
-Some states do not have a state income tax, e.g. Florida.
-*Any* interest payments (including those for a mortgage) are federal
 and state income tax deductible.

On the other hand:

-Social Security payroll deductions are approx. 6.5% compared to 1.?%
 for CPP ( Note that CPP deductions are going to have to be drastically
 increased if current trends continue ).
-The federal income tax in the US is more "progressive" and has a higher
 top rate than Canada's ( 50% compared to ~35% )

Personally, I think Canada's tax system is the more fair of the two since
the impression I get is that less people are able to weasel out of paying
their "fair" share of taxes ( this applies to both affluent and not so
affluent persons ). Somehow, I don't think it reasonable that I should
have to subsidize somebody else's purchase of a 300ZX.

I'll never forget my first office mate in California who upon seeing
the shocked look on my face when I got my first tax ravaged paycheck
(California has a high state income tax.) cheerfully informed me that
he had paid all of 4% of his income in state and federal income
taxes.   It appears that thru the judicious  use of the tax
system Victor was able to get away with paying virtually nothing
in taxes. (The next year he told me that he would probably be
paying less!) No wonder they want to overhaul the system down there.

J.B. Robinson

P.S. Credit where credit is due: Canada's health system is indeed
a darn good one (my opinion only) and a heck of a lot more humane than
that in the US where one can expect the proverbial wallet biopsy
before being admitted to a private hospital (you do *not* want to
be admitted to a community clinic). Now, if we'd just stop spending
money on frills like the CBC and put those dollars into *real*
necessities like health, education and defence .......

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (08/23/85)

In article <1334@utcsri.UUCP> peterr@utcsri.UUCP (Peter Rowley) writes:
>As another example of things being cheaper in Canada... it rarely makes sense
>to buy books, particularly paperbacks, in the U.S. unless it's a question of
>not being able to find them in Canada.  If you look at paperbacks, you will
>see two prices: one for the US, one for Canada.  I have never seen any Cdn
>price > 1.35*US price, not even close.
>
>In fact, a month or so ago, the front page of the Globe and Mail contained
>a short story reporting that over the past decade, Canadian income kept
>pace (even did better than) the cost of living, while the opposite was true
>in the U.S.
>
>While we're comparing, Canada spends less of its GNP on health care, yet has
>universal medicare-- i.e. no-one being tossed out of a hospital because they
>couldn't get health insurance such as happens in the U.S.
>
>This really is a pretty decent place to live.
>
>p. rowley, U. Toronto

     I was talking to my aunt from BC a couple of weeks ago and
apparently US citizens, particularly with health problems lik
to retire in BC because the can use Canadian medicare after having
lived here for a year.  Our cost of living might be supplementing
US cost of living a bit.

     Actually, if Mulroney's government manages to lower Canadian
taxes, I've wondered if we might end up with *more* tax revenue.
Although 'tax siphoning' is illegal, I wouldn't be surprised to
find out that it's still fairly wide spread among multinationals.
If taxes here are dropped below US taxes, many multinationals may
start to reverse their 'tax siphoning' practices.  Mulroney could
hold up the figure as evidence of greater Canadian 'Productivity'
and 'strenghthened industry'--at least until the US brings down
the hammer on the multinationals and forces them to pay their
US taxes instead of ours 'or else'.

--
James Omura, Barrister & Solicitor, Toronto
ihnp4!utzoo!lsuc!jimomura