[can.politics] Nationalization/Crown Corps. -- Buy Local.

idallen@watmath.UUCP (08/05/85)

> Why is it in our interests to have a native internationally-competitive
> airline, as opposed to being served by internationally-competitive
> airlines?  Why do we *need* a pet airline, especially when the kitty
> litter for it is so damned expensive?

I pay more to my local hardware store for some things than I'd pay to the
national/international conglomerate (which purchases them in bulk and
sells them for a lower price) because my local hardware store depends on
my money and the conglomerate doesn't.  The local store listens to me
when I have a problem; the conglomerate doesn't.  I don't like depending
on someone who doesn't depend on me, and up here in Canada we are really
rather small peanuts when compared with the huge US market.  So I like
the idea of a pet airline that takes the trouble to put "ou" in "color"
and temperatures in Celsius.  Now, if I could just get it to roll over...
--
        -IAN!  (Ian! D. Allen)      University of Waterloo

fred@mnetor.UUCP (Fred Williams) (08/07/85)

In article <16066@watmath.UUCP> idallen@watmath.UUCP writes:
>rather small peanuts when compared with the huge US market.  So I like
>the idea of a pet airline that takes the trouble to put "ou" in "color"
>and temperatures in Celsius.  Now, if I could just get it to roll over...
>--
>        -IAN!  (Ian! D. Allen)      University of Waterloo

    If we have a strike soon, you can watch it play dead.
(:_>)

Cheers,		Fred Williams

> ...So I like the idea of a pet airline that takes the trouble to put
> "ou" in "color" and temperatures in Celsius...

So do I.  But it's not worth paying extra for.  Which is what we are doing.

As for the responsiveness of Air Canada, when I arrive in plenty of time
and still can't get a non-smoking seat until I threaten to file a formal
complaint, I'm not impressed.  I see no indication that Air Canada is more
responsive on real issues (not trivia) than any other major airline.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (08/23/85)

In article <5864@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>> ...So I like the idea of a pet airline that takes the trouble to put
>> "ou" in "color" and temperatures in Celsius...
>
>So do I.  But it's not worth paying extra for.  Which is what we are doing.
>
>As for the responsiveness of Air Canada, when I arrive in plenty of time
>and still can't get a non-smoking seat until I threaten to file a formal
>complaint, I'm not impressed.  I see no indication that Air Canada is more
>responsive on real issues (not trivia) than any other major airline.
>--
>				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
>				{allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!henry

     Gee Henry, you mean you don't mind if more people buy Ladas
at the cost of shutting down Chrysler?  They're cheaper, and genuinely
so.  Ironically, they are the product of 'nationalization gone mad'.
Price to the consumer isn't always the only consideration, even when
compared to the value of the immediate product.

                                        Cheers! -- Jim O.

--
James Omura, Barrister & Solicitor, Toronto
ihnp4!utzoo!lsuc!jimomura

ludemann@ubc-cs.UUCP (Peter Ludemann) (08/23/85)

In article <763@lsuc.UUCP> jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) writes:
>     Gee Henry, you mean you don't mind if more people buy Ladas
>at the cost of shutting down Chrysler?  They're cheaper, and genuinely
>so.  Ironically, they are the product of 'nationalization gone mad'.
>Price to the consumer isn't always the only consideration, even when
>compared to the value of the immediate product.

Didn't buy a Lada.  Didn't buy a Chrylser.  Bought a Honda.
Much better car, even at the inflated prices caused by car quotas.
Result of a company getting off its ass and competing in the real
world instead of running whining to Ottawa for protection every
time things get tough.  (I was 15 before I found out that
"damned Easterners" was two words.)
--
ludemann@ubc-cs.uucp (ubc-vision!ubc-cs!ludemann)
ludemann@cs.ubc.cdn