[can.politics] But who pays?

hogg@utcsri.UUCP (John Hogg) (08/22/85)

In the past few days, everybody from hawk to dove has been bemoaning the
tragi-comic state of our armed forces.  I agree; all three branches need a
massive infusion of cash, with special fire-fighting attention being paid
to state-of-the-art icebreakers.

Now, for the key question: where's the money going to come from?  The
right-wingers on the net (that's me, in this particular context) won't want
to further increase a massive deficit, and increased taxes generally aren't
popular.  This leaves only cuts in existing expenditure.  To the south of
us, we have the example of Reagan Hood, taking from the poor and giving to
the military.  Is that what we want?  Can anybody give me NUMBERS
indicating how, in the long run, they would come up with sufficient cash to
do anything meaningful?  One-time fire sales ("Sell off Petrocan!") don't
count.  Go to it; I defy anybody to make a concrete, feasible proposal that
even a majority of net posters will be happy with.
--

John Hogg
Computer Systems Research Institute, UofT

acton@ubc-cs.UUCP (Donald Acton) (08/23/85)

In article <1341@utcsri.UUCP> hogg@utcsri.UUCP (John &) writes:
>Now, for the key question: where's the money going to come from? .....
>.....  This leaves only cuts in existing expenditure.

I have a few very good candidates for cutting:
           1) The CBC which costs us >$800,0000,000 (1983-84)
              However, I will knock this down to 720,000,000/year after
              the alleged cuts made last fall.
           2) The Post Office >$300,000,000 / year. I realize that
              the Post Office is suppose to become self sufficient
              so this represents money that is being freed up for
              other purposes.
           3) VIA rail according to the March 9th (1985) edition of the Globe
              and Wail receives an average subsidy of $87 per passenger and
              carried seven million passengers last year. This works out
              to $609,000,000.  (If you can't trust the figures provided
              by Canada's self proclaimed national newspaper who can you
              trust?)

This works out to 1.629 billion dollars of frivolous expenditures. As far
as spending on national defence is concerned the only figures I have
are for 1983 in which we spent $8 billion. The projected figure for 1985
was $10 billion. If we cut out the above programs we could increase defence
spending by 16% which would be a non-trivial amount.

>   I defy anybody to make a concrete, feasible proposal that
>even a majority of net posters will be happy with.
>--

Whether or not a majority of net people would support these proposals is
questionable as everyone seems to have their own little pet government
subsisdized service that they couldn't see touched. However, even if we
only cut these by 50% we could still give our military quite a shot in
the arm given the current size of its budget. Nothing says the money has
to come from one place and I am sure someone could find a pet government
project of mine to cut. If the government worked at it a little it should
be able to find other areas to cut, after all I have already provided them
with three areas.

Donald Acton

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) (08/31/85)

     As for unpopular ideas for raising money for the military,
how about these:

1.  We all work harder, for no more pay than we currently get.
    The net result is that our products on average become more
    competitive on the world market and the increased tax revenue
    grows *more* than the original revaluing of our work.

2.  We keep PetroCan, but don't make it a haven for incompetent
    political hacks.  It'll pay it's way.  CDC already earns the
    government money.  That's probably why Mulroney's gone silent
    on that topic for now.

3.  Lotteries (just threw that one in--ignore it, please!)

--
James Omura, Barrister & Solicitor, Toronto
ihnp4!utzoo!lsuc!jimomura