[can.politics] A free trade puzzle

peterr@utcsri.UUCP (Peter Rowley) (09/10/85)

Just to show that a lot lurks behind the word "free" in free trade...

The MacDonald commission made a point of saying that it did NOT favour a
customs union with the US, only free trade.  A customs union would mean
that the two countries would treat all other countries equally.  Enforcing
the difference between the two is not simple, however.  Take the case of
Cuba.  Canada trades with Cuba, but Americans are not allowed to either buy
from or sell to that country.  Clearly, the US cannot let arbitrary goods
from Canada (which would include Cuban cigars) flow into the US.  So,
despite the connotations of "free" trade, there would still be a lot of
red tape to determine whether goods could cross the border or not.
One so-called "loose" criterion would be a 50% content rule.  If something
was 50% or more US content or 50% or more Cdn content, then it could pass
without duty.  But it seems likely that this would not be enough to satisfy
the US... so more complicated rules would most likely be required.

Some people point to the amount of money spent collecting duty (more than
is taken in) as an argument for free trade.  But it's clear that the
customs brokers will by no means be put out of business.

This may be viewed as a minor point.  In any wide-ranging agreement between
2 countries, there will be a lot of details to work out.  But I just want
to take the shine off the concept of free trade-- it is NOT simple.  Due
to the intertwining of economic and political policies, and the dependence
of both on old grudges and alliances, trade agreements usually have to be
quite complicated.

----------------------------
I stopped reading the net for a while after I posted my last article
on all this, so I didn't respond to responses to it.  I think one of my
points could have been stated more succinctly... US companies already enjoy
the economies of scale of a large market.  With that advantage they could,
without any nasty tricks, undercut Canadian companies when free trade starts.
Not because of any Canadian incompetence, just because we haven't had time
to develop the same economies of scale.  And with the overpowering
competition from the US, there's a chance that Canadian companies would never
have the chance.  Unless, of course, there were provisions in the agreement;
say, duties for goods going into the US are dropped 5 years before Canadian
duties are dropped.  There are still enough things in free trade that bother
me to make me very wary of it, but without provisions such as this, I think
it is quite clearly suicidal.  Surely, we can agree on that.

p. rowley, U. Toronto

atbowler@watmath.UUCP (Alan T. Bowler [SDG]) (09/10/85)

In article <1378@utcsri.UUCP> peterr@utcsri.UUCP (Peter Rowley) writes:

>Some people point to the amount of money spent collecting duty (more than
>is taken in) as an argument for free trade.  But it's clear that the
>customs brokers will by no means be put out of business.

I know the more rabid libertarians try to give this impression, but it just
isn't true.  What is true is that the amount of money collected at the
border from Joe Public (i.e. amounts in excess of your personal exemption
for things bought outside the country) does not cover the entire cost
of manning the border.  The amount collected on all tariffs is a lot more.
Free trade or not the border stations will still
have to be manned by the same number of people.  You still need to check
for illegal immigrants, illegal substances, and a number of other things
that we don't want in the country.  (Just consider the cost of a major
outbreak of something like hoof and mouth disease).