[can.politics] Homelands wastelands?

gdvsmit@watrose.UUCP (Riel Smit) (10/25/85)

I have said this before (in net.politics), but some people might have
to hear it again...

In article <1534@utcsri.UUCP> vassos@utcsri.UUCP (Vassos Hadzilacos) writes:
>                                               What's free
>about the economy of a country that banishes the overwhelming majority
>of its population in restricted wastelands (so-called batustans)?

Ever been to one of these "restricted wastelands", or do you blindly believe
the propaganda against them?  I have been to most of them and some of them
contain some of the most beautiful areas and some of the best
agricultural land in Southern Africa (e.g. Transkei, KwaZulu, Gazankulu,
Venda and parts of Lebowa) - to such an extent that many white farmers
will give an arm and a leg to be able to have their farms there.

Please do not misunderstand me - I am not defending the South African
government's homeland policy (for the most part it is indefensible),
I am just correcting a widely held misconception about the homelands
being "wateland".

Yes, their are homelands that could be termed "wasteland" (e.g. Bophutha-
tswana), but they were not arbitrarily declared homelands and then
all the blacks shipped off there.  The nations/tribes/ethnic groups
(whatever term you wish to use) living in those "wastelands", have been
doing so for the past 100-300 years (some even longer).  It is their
"anchestral lands".  At least a large proportion of the people living
there have asked for it to be their homeland -  just as some Indian
and Inuit people are now asking for a homeland in what some people would
describe as "wasteland".

Furthermore, the biggest part of South Africa is "wasteland", at least by
North American (especially Canadian) standards.  The Karoo (the largest
part of the largest province) is a semi-desert, and who farms there? -
mostly whites (and some whites want it to be a white homeland!).

The whole idea of homelands is in itself not bad - all over the world
various groups are asking (and some even fighting) for a homeland of their
own.  Forcing people to be associated with such a homeland, and forcefully
moving them there, well that is another story.

vassos@utcsri.UUCP (Vassos Hadzilacos) (10/29/85)

In <1534@utcsri.UUCP> I said:
>>                                               What's free
>> about the economy of a country that banishes the overwhelming majority
>> of its population in restricted wastelands (so-called batustans)?

To which Riel Smit replied:

> Ever been to one of these "restricted wastelands", or do you blindly believe
> the propaganda against them?  I have been to most of them and some of them
> contain some of the most beautiful areas and some of the best
> agricultural land in Southern Africa [...]

No I have not been to SA. But I can use my brain.

Fact: Only 3% of SA's GNP is produced in the bantus (1975 figure) (1)
Fact: 70% of the bantus' GNP comes from migrant workers' wages (1976 figure) (1)
Fact: Only 13% of the bantus' GNP is generated within their boundaries,
	*including* funds from the central government. (2)
Fact: 2/3 of the people in the bantus are landless. (3)
Fact: 1,400,000 black workers work on white-owned farms in the "white areas".(4)

A paradise they surely must be, these bantustans, since they can sustain
such mind-boggling economic activity.

> Yes, their are homelands that could be termed "wasteland" (e.g. Bophutha-
> tswana), but they were not arbitrarily declared homelands and then
> all the blacks shipped off there.  The nations/tribes/ethnic groups
> (whatever term you wish to use) living in those "wastelands", have been
> doing so for the past 100-300 years (some even longer).  It is their
> "anchestral lands".

The bantus were not created out of SA government's concern for black
peoples' "ancestral lands". They were created to control the movement
of black people and to ensure that they could not sustain independent
economic development and would therefore have to supply their labout
dirty cheap to white employers.

> At least a large proportion of the people living
> there have asked for it to be their homeland

I challenge you to substantiate this.

> -  just as some Indian
> and Inuit people are now asking for a homeland in what some people would
> describe as "wasteland".

This sort of lets the cat out of the bag. Native people are not asking
for a homeland in "wasteland" areas because these were their "ancestral
lands" -- the entire North America was their homeland -- but because
these are the only areas their conquerors were/are willing to "concede".

--Vassos Hadzilacos.