[can.politics] Firearms ownership

phoenix@genat.UUCP (phoenix) (07/29/86)

In article <1990@sequent.UUCP> brian@sequent.UUCP (Brian Godfrey) writes:
>   Neither of those guns is a "weapon" in the sense that they were designed
>for killing humans. Both were designed as hunting arms. The .44 is totally
>impractical as a self defense weapon (Dirty Harry to the contrary) as it is
>big, unwieldy, kicks *hard* and only shoots one shot at a time. But it has
>a big hole in the barrel and I think that would impress someone standing in
>front of it. The 12 gauge is even bigger (a lot bigger) and, as everyone
>knows, is mainly intended for shooting birds. Mine has never killed anything
>that wasn't made out of clay.
>   These are the kind of guns that most of us "armed" Americans possess.
>Sporting guns, not self defense guns. Shooting can actually be an enjoyable
>sport without killing - or even thinking about killing - anything. I suppose
>that is difficult for Europeans to understand due to their high population
>density, but here in North America there is plenty of room for legitimate
>shooting sports. Few Americans really select a gun for its self defense
>potential. Never-the-less when you hear someone breaking into your house,
>you grab what you've got. And what I've got is big.

I really don't think that population density is behind the drive for
gun-control.  Canada is on the same continent as the US and has a much
lower pop/density; but we have *very* intense gun-control laws.  To
purchase *any* gun (shotgun, .22, etc.) you need a Fire-Arms Acquisition
Certificate from the Federal Government, which is *not* issued until
the RCMP have made an inspection of your record.  Getting a hand-gun
unless you can prove you are a collector is practically impossible.
Any kind of auto is right out.  (Unless you're a police officer; they
can have any kind of toy they want.)
--

					The Phoenix
					(Neither Bright, Dark, nor Young)