[can.politics] Make the rich pay?

clarke@utcsri.UUCP (Jim Clarke) (12/10/86)

We're not talking about Sunday openings here, I think....

In article <2840@watdcsu.UUCP> brewster@watdcsu.UUCP writes:
>  You seem to assume that there is an automatic right for people to
>  expect to receive unemployment and welfare.
	I sure do, only I'd phrase it as "a right to food, clothing,
	shelter and education".  Education's not usually on that list,
	but we acknowledged that right in the nineteenth century when
	we brought in free schooling.  Daycare is education.
>             ....   If we try to maintain the current system, bad
>  daycare now may mean no more than bad daycare now, if the "safety net"
>  you allude to crashes around us.
	I'm not sure what you mean here.  (No criticism meant:  I've written
	my share of obscure sentences too.)  But bad daycare will *increase*
	welfare costs.  Children badly brought up before they're five grow
	up to be incompetent adults.
>  In the same vein, I have never understood the calls for  universal
>  free daycare.
	I'm not sure I'm asking for that.  I pay for my children's daycare,
	and don't want a handout.  But you must realize that it costs about
	the same as a university education -- not just the tuition fees, the
	whole thing.  I can afford it because I'm better of than most people.
>           ....  People are not forced to have kids, they
>  can choose for or against....
	Balderdash.  Almost everyone wants to have children, and biology
	says you have to do it when your income is far from its highest.
	Let the free market tell people that only the rich can afford
	children, and you'll be in big trouble.

This discussion is going nowhere.  Let's continue it in ten years when almost
all of my free-marketeering opponents have children and understand what I'm
saying.  They may still disagree then, but at least they'll know what they're
disagreeing with.
--

Jim Clarke -- Dept. of Computer Science, Univ. of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4
              (416) 978-4058

acton@mprvaxa.UUCP (12/14/86)

In article <3764@utcsri.UUCP> clarke@utcsri.UUCP (Jim Clarke) writes:

>In article <2840@watdcsu.UUCP> brewster@watdcsu.UUCP writes:
>>  You seem to assume that there is an automatic right for people to
>>  expect to receive unemployment and welfare.
>	I sure do, only I'd phrase it as "a right to food, clothing,
>	shelter and education".  Education's not usually on that list,
>	but we acknowledged that right in the nineteenth century when
>	we brought in free schooling.  Daycare is education.

Daycare is education? I think that is really stretching things. Just
about everything is an educational experience. For example working on a farm,
having a newspaper route, or visiting a hooker are all, no doubt, very
educational experiences but that doesn't mean the government should pay
for them.

The most disconcerting part about your posting is that you say these
things should be rights. Rights should imply obligations but there
is no suggestion on your part that people have any obligations at all
and when my tax dollars are concerned that chokes me up a bit. I would
like to think that if I do things through my tax dollars for people that
they do something for society in return. For example if we pay someone
welfare then they have the obligation to use it to buy food, shelter and
clothing and not to booze it away. Likewise I expect people on UIC to be
looking for jobs and not seeing how long they can collect before it
runs out and they start "really" looking for work.  This I think just
accentuates the point brewster@watdscu was trying to make when he asked
what was wrong with Canada. Everyone seems to want a free lunch but they
forget that in the end someone has to pay. Unfortunately the Canadian
government seems to have forgotten that someone has to pay too
and they have continued to promise anything and everything to anyone.

  Donald Acton

andrews@ubc-cs.UUCP (12/16/86)

In article <826@mprvaxa.UUCP> acton@mprvaxa.UUCP (Don Acton) writes:
>Daycare is education? I think that is really stretching things. Just
>about everything is an educational experience....

     I would agree that there are various ways in which daycare
cannot be considered to be education.  However, I think Jim's
comparison is still valid.  At one time, education was considered
something which you either had to pay for or do at home.  The
more money your family had, the better your education was, and
therefore the better job you got.  Clearly, this was a major
part of the cycle of poverty.

     Now that there are fewer and fewer families who can afford
to keep one person at home to take care of the kids, it seems
like the same argument applies to daycare.  Either someone stays
home and the family lives in poverty, or someone does part-time
work and neglects the kids, or the family finds some daycare that
is cheap enough (and therefore bad enough) to justify someone
working full-time at the highest-paying job they can get.  In any
case, the kids are trapped in a cycle of disadvantage.

     The word "rights" has been used so loosely in the last few
years that I don't know what the colloquial usage is anymore.  So
I wouldn't say subsidized daycare is a "right", but I would say
that it's a very good idea, given today's economic realities.
I would assume that it would be paid for by property taxes, or
whatever it is that pays for education now.  If you argue with
this, do you also argue with subsidized schools?

>                        ... Everyone seems to want a free lunch but they
>forget that in the end someone has to pay....

     I think the main thing that's wrong now is that everyone
wants the best for themselves and doesn't care about anyone
else.  That certainly applies to welfare freeloaders.  But it
also applies to rich, well-educated people who want to deny
their so-called "hard-earned money" to people who just haven't
had the advantages they have.

--Jamie.
...!ubc-vision!ubc-cs!andrews
"L'amour, c'est si simple"