[can.politics] US Magazines in Canada

hwarkentyne@watdragon.UUCP (02/17/87)

In article <225@pembina.alberta.UUCP> bjorn@alberta.UUCP (Bjorn R. Bjornsson) writes:
>>Look at TIME magazine:  the only time they had proportionate
>>Canadian coverage was when they had a Canadian edition, that they
>>could hawk to the Canadians while keeping it out of their American
>>editions.
>
>Why the dirty tricksters hawking a forged edition to Canadians B-).
>Would you have required TIME to publish Canada specific
>material, or any material for that matter?  If TIME is run
>for profit (which it is) I presume they had a Canadian edition
>in order to increase said profits, ie. in order to sell more
>mags and attract more advertising.  If they no longer have
>such an edition, I again presume that they (TIME) concluded
>that it was not paying off.

TIME magazine put out a Canadian edition in order to gain favourable
tax treatment under the regulations as then in force.  When the Government
changed the laws to eliminate the advantage, TIME naturally dropped their
token concession to Canadian interests.  This was not due to any lack
of interest in Canadian news on the part of Canadians as the above
might imply.

Ken Warkentyne