[can.politics] 'Free' Trade? -- culture

chrisr@hcrvx1.UUCP (Chris Retterath) (02/13/87)

!ubc-vision!ubc-cs!andrews writes:
>Americans think of Canada as "that place where our winter storms
>come from".  Opening up Canada to the American media would mean
>opening up Canada to a view of the world in which America is
>disproportionately more important than Canada.

Face it, folks, we Anglos in Canada are a part of a North American
popular culture. As the market is so big, we have to be louder to be heard;
unlike, say, the Aussies on the other side of the globe.

Eighty years ago there were Canadians griping about their puny
voice in an Imperial Britain that encompassed the world. The same
kind of people today worry about the small mention of Canada in American
news.

It's like some insecure hick wanting everyone to know about the little
burgh he grew up in. Or some snob in hogtown assuring you that Toronto
is the cultural equivalent of New York City.

Well, Canada may be a great place to live, but Americans don't have
to be interested in it. By the same token, we are usually not interested
in American politics at the state level. It just doesn't concern us most
of the time, and, like Americans, we don't watch things we don't care
about. The media merely reflects these preferences.

None of this, of course, has anything to do with free trade.

	Chris Retterath.

andrews@ubc-cs.UUCP (02/13/87)

     Let me give you an analogy.  (oh nooo)

     If the cereal companies didn't put thiamine, niacinimide, etc.
in their breakfast cereals, parents would go ahead blithely buying
their kids Alpha-Bits (tm), Froot Loops (sic, tm), Wayne Gretzky's
Sugar-Coated Chocolate Hockey Pucks Cereal (tm, possibly) and other
crap, because a lot of them -- not all of them, but a lot of them --
don't know the difference and couldn't be bothered to find out.

     This would be bad for the kids.  Now I'm not sure what it is
that makes them put that thiamine etc. in the cereals.  If it's the
government or the cereal industry itself, we have a perfect analogy.
Exclusively American TV would be bad for Canadians' self-image and
identity as a separate nation, because it wouldn't have enough stuff
about Canada in it; and this should be regulated by the government
or, at least, the (entire) North American TV industry.

     If we had unlimited American TV, a lot of people -- not all of
them, but a lot of them -- couldn't be bothered to watch anything
except the glittery, high-powered-production shows that come out of
the American TV industry.  They would lose a sense of Canada's
nationhood, and think of themselves as poor cousins to the Americans
for not being right in the thick of American culture.  This happens
to a certain extent already.

     Now if the individual cereal manufacturers individually started
to put thiamine etc. in their cereals, because the competition in
the marketplace demanded it, well then my analogy breaks down.
Because there's no WAY that ANY American TV network would voluntarily
put stuff about Canada in its programming and risk losing a large
number of American viewers ("Canada?  CANADA?  Who the hell wants
to hear about Canada?  We might as well hear about Belgium or Uruguay
or Sierra Leone.  Let's switch back to Wheel of Fortune").

--

In article <1471@hcrvx1.UUCP> chrisr@hcrvx1.UUCP (Chris Retterath) writes:
>Well, Canada may be a great place to live, but Americans don't have
>to be interested in it. By the same token, we are usually not interested
>in American politics at the state level....

     Do you really believe that Canada is no more important than an
American state?  I pity you.

>                                     ... It just doesn't concern us most
>of the time, and, like Americans, we don't watch things we don't care
>about. The media merely reflects these preferences.

     No, the North American media reflect the Americans'
DISPROPORTIONATE sense of their own importance in the world.  As
I say, if 10% of the shows in North American TV were about Canada,
to reflect the 10% of the Anglophone population of the continent
which is Canadian, I would be happy, however that came about.

>None of this, of course, has anything to do with free trade.

     Wrong.  This discussion started because of the Americans'
view that culture should be "on the table" in free trade talks.

--Jamie.
...!ubc-vision!Ubc-cs!andrews
"He shouts across the ocean to the shore"

sl@van-bc.UUCP (02/14/87)

This message is empty.

bcpalmer@watrose.UUCP (02/17/87)

In article <353@van-bc.UUCP> sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:

>To the extent of having some shows about Canada, showing many Canadian
>produced shows (the recent Ann of Green Gables being and excellent example).

If you really knew Canadian culture, you would know it's "Anne-with-an-e" :-)

We are already invaded with American culture - how many people watched/are
watching "Amerika"?  Who let them film part of this boring piece of propaganda
in Toronto?  I agree with Jerome's posting - if that's what the States have
to offer us for "culture", who wants more of it?

- BP

chrisr@hcrvx1.UUCP (Chris Retterath) (02/17/87)

Please read what I write before posting responses. For example,
Jamie Andrews @ UBC has managed to confuse a description of reality
with an assertion of what reality should be. When I say that we are
not usually interested in American politics at the state level,
he seems to think I believe Canada is no more important than an American
state. (Pity him :-))

I do not understand the anti-American sentiment of several people
who have recently posted in this newsgroup. These people would have
us believe that there is some sort of conspiracy to take over Canada.
There appears to be much emotion, and little reason, in the arguments.

Interestingly enough, the most emotional and less reasoned responses
seem to have come from academic institutions. Makes one wonder.

	Chris Retterath.

david@geac.UUCP (David Haynes) (02/18/87)

In article <8477@watrose.UUCP> bcpalmer@watrose.UUCP (Barbara Palmer) writes:
>In article <353@van-bc.UUCP> sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
>>
>>To the extent of having some shows about Canada, showing many Canadian
>>produced shows (the recent Ann of Green Gables being and excellent example).
>
>If you really knew Canadian culture, you would know it's "Anne-with-an-e" :-)
>
>We are already invaded with American culture - how many people watched/are
>watching "Amerika"?  Who let them film part of this boring piece of propaganda
>in Toronto?  I agree with Jerome's posting - if that's what the States have
>to offer us for "culture", who wants more of it?
>
>- BP

OK, but in reading all these entries, the thought occurs to me that no
one here has come close to defining ``Canadian Culture''. What is it?
What isn't it?

It seems to me that the comments recently made by Clayton Yiger (sp)
were designed to get us to come up with a working definition of
Canadian Culture. Think about it from their point of view ---
we are sitting here saying ``you can't touch Canadian Culture or
affect the Canadian Cultural Identity'' but we don't seem to be
willing to supply a definition of what we mean by that. If I were
the U.S. negotiator, I would be very lothe to enter into bargaining
with Canada with that sort of black hole in my bargaining strategy.

Anyone want to come up with a working definition of ``Canadian Cultural
Identity''?

-david-
David Haynes					(utzoo!yetti!geac!david)
Geac Computers International Inc.		+1 416 475 0525 x 3420
350 Steelcase Road,Markham, Ontario,  CANADA, L3R 1B3

jimr@hcrvx2.UUCP (Jim Robinson) (02/18/87)

In article <8477@watrose.UUCP> bcpalmer@watrose.UUCP (Barbara Palmer) writes:
>In article <353@van-bc.UUCP> sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
>>
>>To the extent of having some shows about Canada, showing many Canadian
>>produced shows (the recent Ann of Green Gables being and excellent example).
>
>If you really knew Canadian culture, you would know it's "Anne-with-an-e" :-)
>
>We are already invaded with American culture - how many people watched/are
>watching "Amerika"?  Who let them film part of this boring piece of propaganda
>in Toronto?  I agree with Jerome's posting - if that's what the States have
>to offer us for "culture", who wants more of it?

If it's as bad as you say, who cares? Nobody will watch it. (Instead
they'll all be tuned into the CBC eagerly awaiting Barbara's
next word. :-) Or are you afraid that the  average American or Canadian
is really so dense that he cannot distinguish speculative *fiction*
from reality. I'm curious as to whether those that object to "Amerika"
also objected to "The Day After". Both these films fall into the exact
same classification except that one is "politically correct" and one
isn't (it is left as an execrise for the reader to determine which is
which :-) At any rate, nobody is *forcing* *you* to watch Amerika, so
why should you care what others do.

[flame on]
You nationalists sure sit on one high horse. Do you people
really think you've got the right to tell people what they *should* be
watching and/or listening to????? Let's face facts: your average
Canadian really does not give a flying fig about culture (at least as
defined by the nationalists). They really don't care if the rock band
they're listening to is from Toledo and not Toronto. They don't care if
the sitcom they're watching takes place in Vancouver Washington and not
Vancouver BC. The only ones that do care are small bunch of people who
happen to have a very large voice and have learned how to wrap a
Canadian flag around their knee-jerk American xenophobia.

One joker said that he was worried that his kids would grow up thinking
that George Washington was the first Prime Minister of Canada. Well, I
really hate to break this to ya, but that's a non-issue. Historical
truths are a totally different matter altogether. If your kid grows up
with such a bizarre notion it would be because *you* and the *school*
your kid attended did one heck of a poor job educating him/her.

Jamie is worried that Canadians will start thinking of themselves as
poor cousins, wrt culture, of the Americans. Why? Because the sitcoms
Canadians watch take place in the States? Because the US produces such
losers as "Amerika" and "The Day After"? Give me a break.  This country
is very similar and yet very different to the US. And I, for one, do not
need someone banging me over the head in order to realize the
differences.

What worries me is that Canadians will become the Americans' poor
cousins wrt the economy. Why? Because Canadians are stupid enough to
expend vast quantities of time and effort squabbling over in which
country a damn TV show should be made instead of worrying about the
*real* problems facing this country. Such as how a resource based
nation that spends next to nothing on R&D is going to make it into the
next century without a monumental drop in the standard of living its
people enjoy. Or how an export oriented nation is going to obtain
guaranteed access to a market of over 100 million people; something
that every other industrialized country already has.

So why don't you nationalists lighten up. If Canadians would rather
partake in American "culture", what's the big deal as long as it's a
choice that they freely made. Or does the phrase "democracy in action"
send shivers up your spine?

[flame off]

I think that a precise  definition of the word culture would useful for
this debate. Normally I think of culture as being concerned with art,
poetry, ballet, etc. The nationalists, however, tend to include many
other things in their definition. So how about? Any of you nationalists
want to give it a whirl? Or are you worried about giving the rest of us
a *real* target to shoot at, as opposed to this nebulous concept that
defies description.

J.B. Robinson

pptanner@watcgl.UUCP (02/19/87)

The discussion on this newsgroup has covered only one side of
the free trade in culture issue - that of Canada's attitude
towards American produced media being consumed here.  There is a
counter issue that Canadians typically ignore, and that is the
American attitude to foreign produced media in their country.
The "right wing" contributers to this news group who rant and
rave that we should not restrict or otherwise control American
productions coming into this country ignore the fact that the
States permit very little foreign material on their air-waves.
Only 2% of US network television (unfortunately the most
important cultural medium) is foreign produced.  There are very
few countries, with the possible exception of Albania that have
so little foreign content.

One of the advantages of seeing foreign programming (and reading
foreign books etc) is the resulting improvement in understanding
of different viewpoints, how life is lived in other places, and
what their cultural influences are.  Most of the foreign
programs that are shown in the USA are BBC historical dramas
shown on PBS.  These do little to contribute to a knowledge of
what contemporary life is like in Britain, but reflect a
heritage that America (and Canada) share.  While most of the
world are quite aware of how middle-class America operates, (or
at least aware of television's portrayal of middle-class
America), American's have no access to portrayals of how others
live.  One can comment on how this leads to a distrust of
"aliens", but that is not the point of this article.

It is probably true that this censorship of nearly all foreign
programming in the USA is not initiated by the government, but
by the private television networks.  There are those who argue
that it is a mindset on the part of those who choose the
programs for the networks.  It would be very difficult to argue
that there are so few programs produced by the BBC, CBC and
private television producers in Britain or Canada that are not
appropriate for American audiences.

If we were to have free trade in media, we would have to be
guaranteed that non-duty trade barriers such as this
not-produced-here prejudice of American television executives
would not be allowed to prevent Canadian programs from equal
access to US networks.  Programs with good ratings in Canada
should be given the same access to the US market as US programs
are given to our market.

The CBC has requested money from the government to set up a
satellite television station to cover the US.  (France already
has such a station for North America, the BBC has applied for
funding for one, and the US has one in Europe.)  This will allow
us some access to their market, but as it is the large networks
that control most of what is consumed in the States, it is access
to their schedule that is necessary if a fair-trade situation is
to be set up.

chapman@fornax.UUCP (02/19/87)

.
.
.
> If it's as bad as you say, who cares? Nobody will watch it. (Instead
> they'll all be tuned into the CBC eagerly awaiting Barbara's
> next word. :-) Or are you afraid that the  average American or Canadian
> is really so dense that he cannot distinguish speculative *fiction*
> from reality. I'm curious as to whether those that object to "Amerika"
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm not sure if I believe that yet or not; however over $30Billion
a year is spent on advertising in Canada.  If you watch a lot of it
you will see that someone certainly believes we can't tell fiction
from reality.
.
.
> J.B. Robinson

john chapman

If we are defining Canadian culture in terms of television, then may the
Lord have pity on our poor little country which has let its standards fall
so far.  I'm a bit more sympathetic when the argument is extended to movies,
but not a lot.

Once you dispense with the waste of time and rot of neurons involved in
routine TV-watching, it's amazing how little you care about the plight of
Canadian television.
--
Legalize			Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
freedom!			{allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry