[can.politics] Free trade and movies

daford@watdragon.UUCP (02/20/87)

In the past few years the Aussies have managed to produce some very good
and VERY profitable movies, most of which were about Australia some how.

How did they do this?

They have only have a population of 15 meg and yet are able to blast their
way onto the world and North American markets.  I guess it helps to be
far away from the domination of the US but that can't be the only story.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Daniel A. Ford 					daford@watdragon.uucp
CS Department                         daford%watdragon@waterloo.csnet
U. of Waterloo       daford%watdragon%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

sarahm@cognos.UUCP (Sarah Metcalfe) (02/23/87)

In article <2322@watdragon.UUCP> daford@watdragon.UUCP writes:
>In the past few years the Aussies have managed to produce some very good
>and VERY profitable movies, most of which were about Australia some how.
>
>How did they do this?

I attended an interesting seminar given by the (Australian) screenwriter
of "My Brilliant Career", the (English) writer of "Experience Preferred,
But Not Essential", and the (American) writer of "Beverly Hills Cop",
here in Ottawa.

In her presentation, the Australian mentioned that a certain percentage
(reasonably high, I think -- 10-20%) of profits made from distributing
films in Australia MUST be reinvested in making Australian movies.  She
felt this was the ONLY reason for the success of the Aussie film industry.
She said she was shocked to see that Canada had not instituted something
along the same lines.  She and the British writer both expressed concern
that American films (no matter how poor), because they are backed by such
financial might, can swamp smaller countries with poorly developed
film industries.  (The "Beverly Hills Cop" guy, despite his Oscar, looked
distinctly guilty through all this!)

Cineplex/Odeon IS the biggest theatre chain in North America, but they have
nothing to do with film distribution.  The new legislation concerns distribution
rights only.
Sarah Metcalfe

Cognos Incorporated
3755 Riverside Drive, Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA  K1G 3N3
(613) 738-1440

decvax!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!sarahm