[can.politics] Canadian Identity

hwarkentyne@watdragon.UUCP (02/19/87)

In article <542@geac.UUCP> david@geac.UUCP (David Haynes) writes:

>Anyone want to come up with a working definition of ``Canadian Cultural
>Identity''?

Part of the Canadian cultural identity is worrying about our Canadian
cultural identity.

Certainly Canada is too diverse a nation to have a single identity
so why bother trying to pigeonhole ourselves ?  I think that we should
stop worrying about defining things and get on with doing things and
this will prove to be a better definition of a Canadian identity than
any essay you care to write on the matter.

Ken Warkentyne

david@geac.UUCP (David Haynes) (02/20/87)

In article <2313@watdragon.UUCP> hwarkentyne@watdragon.UUCP (Kenneth Warkentyne) writes:
>In article <542@geac.UUCP> david@geac.UUCP (David Haynes) writes:
>>
>>Anyone want to come up with a working definition of ``Canadian Cultural
>>Identity''?
>>

>Part of the Canadian cultural identity is worrying about our Canadian
>cultural identity.
>
>Certainly Canada is too diverse a nation to have a single identity
>so why bother trying to pigeonhole ourselves ?  I think that we should
>stop worrying about defining things and get on with doing things and
>this will prove to be a better definition of a Canadian identity than
>any essay you care to write on the matter.
>
>Ken Warkentyne

Perhaps I was not clear in my previous posting. The question is
really this, "How can we decide what is or is not threatening
to our Canadian Cultural Identity, if we can not even define it
to ourselves?"

Mr. Warkentyne states that we should just do things and not worry.
I am unclear how this attitude is supposed to fit into the
framework of the Canada/U.S. free trade negotiations I set in
my previous posting. How is just doing things going to help/hinder
our efforts there? What sort of things do you propose we just
start doing? How are we protecting our Cultural Identity by just
doing?

By taking another tack on the problem, perhaps what Mr. Warkentyne
is proposing is that by our actions a definition will appear.
I guess the problem I have with that is that we have stated very
clearly (or, at least, our Federal Government has stated clearly)
that Canada's Cultural Identity (heritage??) is *not* on the
bargaining table in the Free Trade negotiations. What I was looking
for was a clearer definition of what that meant.

-david-

David Haynes					(utzoo!yetti!geac!david)
Geac Computers International Inc.		+1 416 475 0525 x 3420
350 Steelcase Road,Markham, Ontario,  CANADA, L3R 1B3

jimr@hcrvx2.UUCP (Jim Robinson) (02/21/87)

In article <2313@watdragon.UUCP> hwarkentyne@watdragon.UUCP (Kenneth Warkentyne) writes:
>In article <542@geac.UUCP> david@geac.UUCP (David Haynes) writes:
>>
>>Anyone want to come up with a working definition of ``Canadian Cultural
>>Identity''?
>>

>Part of the Canadian cultural identity is worrying about our Canadian
>cultural identity.
>
>Certainly Canada is too diverse a nation to have a single identity
>so why bother trying to pigeonhole ourselves ?  I think that we should
>stop worrying about defining things and get on with doing things and
>this will prove to be a better definition of a Canadian identity than
>any essay you care to write on the matter.

Nothing personal, Ken, but the above seems like a lot of hand-waving to
me. You and the other nationalists want to preserve, enhance,
subsidize, and protect an entity which you refuse to define. If I tried
to start a widget manufacturing company I imagine that I wouldn't be
able to squeeze a dime out of any potential investors (all levels of
government excepted) without a precise definition for said widget.
Yet, you people expect  to take my tax dollars and merrily prop up
various industries without having such a definition. Seems to me that
you can't seriously expect to strengthen something when you can't even
define it. At best, you'll obtain meagre results; at worst, no results
at all.

J.B. Robinson

manis@ubc-cs.UUCP (02/23/87)

In article <2749@hcrvx2.UUCP> jimr@hcrvx2.UUCP (Jim Robinson) writes:

>Nothing personal, Ken, but the above seems like a lot of hand-waving to
>me. You and the other nationalists want to preserve, enhance,
>subsidize, and protect an entity which you refuse to define.

Er, nothing personal, Jim, but I think you're misrepresenting what Canadian
nationalism is. I certainly agree that you're not going to get venture
capital for a widget factory without a business plan, but a country is not
a business.

As Canadians, we have sat on the doorstep of the US for the past 120 years,
never quite deciding whether we want a country or not. The US *has* a national
identity (and a secular religion, whose major rite is the fervent reiteration
of the Pledge of Allegiance), and we've on the one hand wanted to be part of
it, and, on the other hand wanted to make our own go of it.

As somebody said a while ago, part of a Canadian identity is a quest for a
Canadian identiy. From this point of view, Canadian nationalism isn't just a
form of reactionary conservation of everything in our past, but also an
attempt to define our future, independent of the US (or any other country).
There's no way we can develop a business plan for that.

Basically, the alternative to Canadian nationalism is not some nice form of
internationalism, but acceptance of American nationalism. When you are next
to a very powerful neighbour who threatens scorched earth tactics in
retaliation for blocking a takeover of a publishing company, or who believes
that Canada's concern for acid rain is part of a devious plot to sell
Canadian electricity in the U.S., sitting on the fence means caving in.

I find it rather astonishing that, of all places, Canadian nationalists can
look to ``Amerika'' for some inspiration. The characters there asked, for
14-1/2 hours, ``Do we want a country, and what sort of country do we want?''
I might not care for some of the answers they came up with, but at least
they are asking the right questions.