[can.politics] Newspaper Editorials

acton@mprvaxa.UUCP (03/03/87)

In article <214@fornax.uucp> chapman@fornax.uucp (John Chapman) writes:
>Just a p.s. to my posting. Did you know that the average canadian
>newspaper editorial is pitched at a grade eight reading level (according
>to one of my old english teachers)?  Isn't that disturbing?

I am not sure why this is disturbing John so I will other some guesses.
(put words in his mouth :-)

  1) Editorials are written at the grade eight level because that is
the education level of the editors. If that is the case, and judging by
some of the grammatical and spelling errors spotted in newspapers not
an unreasonable conclusion, then I will have to agree with John. (please
no flames on the abuses I inflict upon the English language.)

 2) The average reader only has reading skills that are at the grade
eight level. If this is the reason then I am not at all disturbed.
Although it is a shame that the average reader might only have that
level of education I wouldn't want to deprive people, like my parents who grew
up during the depression and didn't have the chance to complete school,
the opportunity to read newspapers and be exposed to other peoples
ideas. Since people of that era and earlier make up a considerable
portion of society I think it is only fair that the papers of the day
take this into consideration when they write their editorials. A second
point to consider is whether or not the papers can communicate the ideas
they want to with that level of writing. If they can then is there any
real need to change? One other point is that newspapers aren't just for
"adults".

   Donald Acton