[can.politics] Free trade, Canadian culture, $$, Really Democracy

chapman@fornax.uucp (02/27/87)

> 	Sure, if the majority is not properly educated then they will make
> 	stupid decisions.  The alternative is to have some "board" or

I think this deserves some more comment.  It is a topic which has always
bothered me.  In my opinion democracy and freedom will be conficting
values/forces unless the electorate is educated.  It also seems to me
that along with the so-called "right" to vote must come some responsibility.

First of all is the responsibility to vote.  I would argue that there
is something seriously wrong in a society where so many people do not
avail themselves of the ability to have some say in their country's
actions.  The voter turnout statistics are quite depressing.  During
the recent election in BC the local station interviewed people (sidewalk
style) about voting.  there was a 22 year old woman who wasn't going
to vote because "it just doesn't concern me".  This was her first
opportunity to participate in an election and she just couldn't be
bothered.

Secondly there is the responsibility to make reasoned and informed decisions.
There have been suggestions that some people should get more votes based
on their education, contributions to society in general etc.. I can
understand the proponents motivation in this but I think it is too
dangerous as it effectively disenfranchises the majority.  The only
solution I see to this is to provide people with every opportunity
possible to educate themselves and to learn to reason.  Since most
so many people cannot even be bothered to vote it is unlikely that
there would be an enthusiastic response to any expenditures in this
direction - but what is the alternative but to be governed by the
very low common denominator of the population?

With regard to the CBC in this context I believe the following to
be true.  People cannot appreciate or enjoy a certain activity unless
they are exposed to it.  If they do not appreciate it they will
not demand it.  Thinking and learning is hard - it only becomes fun
once you get good at it.  We have a whole generation of parents now
who are tube addicts - it is unreasonable to assume they will do
anything but turn their children into addicts as well.  So we have
a vicious cycle which I contend is precisely similar to the often
noted muti-generation welfare family syndrome - one generation sinks
and all those who follow learn to do the same by example.  It is
unlikely that we will ever get people to give up the tube (use it
in moderation anyway).  If we wait until there is a demand for
alternative programming it will never come.  The CBC provides an
alternative, although not an ideal one, and so should recieve funding.
It is an existing base in a powerful medium with which we might
help dezombify the next generation.  The question as far as I am
concerned is not: should we subsidize the CBC, but: how can we make it
a more powerful tool to help create a population of thinking, informed,
critical and active citizenry.

Stay tuned to this station for comments on the education system.

1

sanand@radha.UUCP (Sanand Patel) (03/02/87)

In article <210@fornax.uucp> chapman@fornax.uucp writes:
>First of all is the responsibility to vote.  I would argue that there
>is something seriously wrong in a society where so many people do not
>avail themselves of the ability to have some say in their country's
>actions.  The voter turnout statistics are quite depressing.  During

As an aside, in a (free) country where there is low voter turnout, I
would infer that most are *happy* as things are. As voter turnout
increases, I would infer that the (any) country is in trouble/turmoil.
Countries that are in turbulent times/troubled times have a *very* high
turnout >90%. [see also Megatrands by ?? for stats only].
--
---
--- seismo!mnetor!radha!sanand

> First of all is the responsibility to vote.  I would argue that there
> is something seriously wrong in a society where so many people do not
> avail themselves of the ability to have some say in their country's
> actions.  The voter turnout statistics are quite depressing...

Indeed they are.  Perhaps we should re-examine the assumption that voting
constitutes "having some say in the country's actions".  It seems to me
that the Number One reason why people do not vote is that they are
convinced it will make no difference.

I'm not sure of any way to change this conviction, partly because I tend
to agree that it is a realistic assessment of Canadian politics.  I did
once see an intriguing suggestion on increasing voter turnout:  pay for
votes.  Not for *specific* votes, mind you, but a flat payment of (say)
$50 for turning out and voting.  Expensive, yes, but perhaps worth it.
--
"We must choose: the stars or	Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
the dust.  Which shall it be?"	{allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry

manis@ubc-cs.UUCP (Vincent Manis) (03/04/87)

In article <135@radha.UUCP> sanand@radha.UUCP (Sanand Patel) writes:

>As an aside, in a (free) country where there is low voter turnout, I
>would infer that most are *happy* as things are. As voter turnout
>increases, I would infer that the (any) country is in trouble/turmoil.
>Countries that are in turbulent times/troubled times have a *very* high
>turnout >90%. [see also Megatrands by ?? for stats only].

I'm not sure I buy this reasoning. I have voted in every election for
which I was eligible at the civic, provincial, and federal levels. I even
voted in civic elections when I lived in the suburbs, where most elections
are fought over obscure zoning battles. People who vote may do so because
they're mad as hell, happy as hell, or merely feel an obligation to do
so.

They may also vote because they're legally required to. Both Australia and
the USSR have this requirement (I believe), though I wouldn't want to
compare the happiness of their citizens.

In fact, if people have given up on their government, they're less likely to
vote. In the US, the percentage of people voting in the presidential
elections has fallen each time, with more and more people saying it just
doesn't matter.

Moral of the story: VOTE!!!