[can.politics] Foreign students treated unfairly.

kcho@watdaisy.UUCP (03/05/87)

A copy of a letter sent to B. Mulroney:

Foreign students in Canada face many problems.
At least two national organizations have recognized the lack of coherent
planning and the confusion of international responsibilities:

1) The North-South Institute issued a report entitled "Foreign
Students in Canada - A Neglected Foreign Policy Issue" in November 1985.

2) In the report entitled "Closing the Doors?", the Canadian Bureau for
International Education places the blame for the drop of the number of
international students in Canada on federal and provincial governments which
have failed to agree on policies.
(See Shore86b for a summary)

FOREIGN STUDENTS PROBLEMS.

International students have problems at national, provincial and county
level. The most important ones are:

a) Foreign students pay tuition fees that exceed the cost of their education. (Green87)

b) Graduate foreign students must contribute part of their Teaching or Research
Assistantship salary to the Unemployment Insurance Plan.
They are not allowed to collect benefits. (Shore86b and Mota87b)

c) For FS, the procedure to collect Family Allowances and Child Tax Credit
is very complex. (Fam86)

d) Foreign graduate students must pay $50 to obtain an Employment
Authorization. They also contribute $50 for the renewal of their spouses'
and children's visas.
These expenses are not tax deductible.

e) FS cannot collect the Ontario Tax Credit.
(Ont85)

f) Some provincial health insurance schemes require special premiums from
foreign students or do not cover them at all.
(VISA87b)

g) The county boards of education could deny education to the children
and spouses of foreign students.
This has happened at least once in the past.

h) FS are not informed by the Universities about these issues.
They find out only when they have committed themselves to a program of study.

i) Foreign students and their families are not allowed to engage in
employment or self-employment.
(VISA87a)
One exception is Graduate Students that can work as Teaching or Research
Assistants.

Many of these problems are generated by rules that violate not only the
Canadian Charter of Rights but also the Universal Declaration of Human
Rights and other International Covenants (UN87).

In the future, most of these laws will no doubt be abolished because they are
"unfair".
For example in British Columbia, the issue of Medical Insurance for
foreign students was taken to Court.
The students finally won.
The issue of Unemployment Insurance is also being taken to Court using
the Charter of Rights as the main instrument. (Mota87c)
It is very likely that again this case will be win.

Foreign students were invited to come into Canada by the Universities.
There should be a good understanding between them and the government.

IT IS A SHAME THAT INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS WITH LIMITED RESOURCES MUST USE
THE CANADIAN LEGAL SYSTEM TO FIGHT FOR THEIR RIGHTS.
EVERY COURT CHALLENGE IS A WASTE OF TIME, MONEY AND A LOSS FOR THE
INTERNATIONAL IMAGE OF CANADA.

Canada does not have any obligation to bring in Foreign Students;
however if they are accepted, they should not be discriminated.

The benefits for receiving foreign students are countless yet very
difficult to quantify. For instance:

* Did you know that your colleague, the President of Mexico,
Miguel de la Madrid Hurtado obtained a Master's degree in Economics at
Harvard.
Without doubt, his policies have been influenced by the fact that he lived
for a while in a free and democratic society.

* The former Ministry of Finance of Mexico, Jesus Silva Herzog; who has
been in Ottawa many times renegotiating the external debt was a foreign
student at Yale.
If he had been an alumnus from a Soviet or French University, he would
probably have already repudiated the debt and unbalanced the capitalist
system.
Canada would certainly be affected.

* Vinicio Baqueiro an alumnus from the University of Waterloo
with a master degree in Computer Science returned to his country , Ecuador, in 1983.
In six months, he developed the computer environment necessary for the
presidential election of January 1, 1984.
The opposition (right wing) charged him with a "plot to commit a scientific
fraud" (this was the first time a computer have been used).
In April 17, 1984, there was an attempt to kill him. He suffered a broken leg.
He is now working in the University trying to bring democracy back into his
country.
Was he influenced by Canada in his political views?
Was there a change in his mind because he was out of the country for a year?
Are there benefits for Canada in keeping Ecuador a democratic society?
(I include a copy of a personal letter; it is written in spanish).

* I am so impressed with the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms that I
think Mexico, my country, may likely need something similar.
Will there be benefits to Canada in the fact that Mexico may have a
document inspired in the Charter of Rights?

* Members of my family have made 20 visits to Canada that they would not
have made if we were not here.
They injected at least $20,000 into the Canadian economy.

On the other hand, Canada is not obtaining all it can from foreign students.
Most international students leave Canada with a Bachelor or Doctorate degree
say in Engineering but without any knowledge of other things Canada has to
offer.

I would recommend the design of a course compulsory for foreign
students that will introduce this information.
For example: the export potential of Canada, parliamentary law,
principles of democracy, the founding of a multicultural society,
the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms (I am in love with it,
as you can see), the division between federal and provincial
governments, the solution of the Quebec problem,
environmental issues, the equality of women, etc.

Can you imagine 50,000 leaders all over the world being aware of
these marvels of the Canadian system?

Hoping that soon there would be a national policy toward foreign
students, I thank you for the attention given to this letter.
MAriaurora Mota

daford@watdragon.UUCP (03/05/87)

I find it difficult to get too upset about the plight of foreign students
in Canada.  They receive the advantages of a university paid for by the
taxes of Canadians.  We, our parents and our grandparents, worked hard and
earned the money to pay for the system (as faulty as it is) long before Foreign
students even thought they might come to this country as guests.  We will
continue to pay the mortgage long after they are gone.

While I don't think they should be treated unfairly, I find it hard to get
upset if they get charged $50 bucks for UIC and then can't collect.
Daniel A. Ford 					daford@watdragon.uucp
CS Department                         daford%watdragon@waterloo.csnet
U. of Waterloo       daford%watdragon%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

rgatkinson@watmum.UUCP (03/06/87)

In article <2396@watdragon.UUCP> daford@watdragon.UUCP (Daniel Ford) writes:
>While I don't think they should be treated unfairly, I find it hard to get
>upset if they get charged $50 bucks for UIC and then can't collect.

I suppose that as a student at Waterloo I should also not object to
being charged a "computer fee" that goes into general revenues, or
an over-priced $850/year "coop fee" that supports overall operations?
It's not so much the money behind these things (at least for me, perhaps
I'm luckier than most) but the principle involved.  What right do we
have to charge people for insurance they can't collect?  On what moral
principle is that based?  If you want to tax them *then call it a tax*
If we start abusing this sort of thing, then it becomes too hard to
keep track of what those in power are up to, and too easy for them
to slip things under the rug.

>Daniel A. Ford 					daford@watdragon.uucp

	-bob atkinson

brkirby@watdragon.UUCP (03/06/87)

I have just one question:
    Can "domestic" students collect UI?

	Bruce Kirby
-----------------------
     "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent
    revolution inevitable."
             --John F. Kennedy
-----------------------
CSNET:	brkirby@waterloo.csnet
UUCP: 	{decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra}!watmath!watdragon!brkirby

chapman@fornax.UUCP (03/06/87)

> I have just one question:
>     Can "domestic" students collect UI?
>
> 	Bruce Kirby

Depends.  If you are a full time student the answer is no.  If you are
not full time then it is possible to make a case to UIC that the courses
you are taking in no way affect your ability to look for work or to accept
work offered to you - in which case you can get benefits.  Also time spent
working will leave you with benefits when you leave school although
regulations have changed in the past few years in order to make it more
difficult for people like students to collect, e.g. weeks where you work
<20hrs don't count towards qualifying for benefits.

brewster@watdcsu.UUCP (03/06/87)

>From: brkirby@watdragon.UUCP (Bruce Kirby)

>I have just one question:
>    Can "domestic" students collect UI?

	Yes and no.  I know of several people who graduated at the
	same time as I did, who arranged to start a full time job in
	September, arranged to work as camp counsellors at resort
	camps for the summer while being paid under the table, and
	collected UI for the summer as they had workterms to support
	minimum number of weeks worked.  Ethically disgusting, but it
	happened.   Now that this loophole has been mentioned publicly,
	do you think UI will be able to close it down ??  I don't think
	so because people who are willing to lie have an extremely
	easy job in scamming UI, which is a weakness of the system given
	that there will always be people who are willing to lie.

	I know of another student who worked at a company in Toronto
	that went bankrupt.  The bankruptcy happened four weeks before
	the end of the workterm and so he couldn't find other employment.
	UI will not pay any compensation for this time out of work
	because "there was no reasonable expectation of finding suitable
	employment for the time period in question".

	Which brings up the point that UI is really a misnomer.

	UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE IS NOT AN INSURANCE PROGRAM !!!!

	In the UI program the people who are least likely to
	require support pay the most, the people who are most likely
	to require support pay the least or nothing.
	There is no concept of risk of being unemployed, so that the
	grade 10 dropout pays the same as the college grad, although
	one is more "employable" than the other.  There is no concept
	of being allowed to withdraw based on what you had put in, which
	would have allowed the friend who was out of work three weeks
	to withdraw some of savings he had presumably built up in the plan
	over previous workterms.   There is no concept of opting out of
	the plan.  The plan is full of loop holes which any regular
	insurance company would close up before you could say "sinking profit
	margin" due to money lost through the loopholes to unscrupulous
	individuals.

	The point being, UI really isn't an unemployment insurance scheme
	in any normal manner of understanding of the concept of
	insurance.   It is just a method of collecting general taxes
	from those who are employed.    i.e. the UI you pay doesn't go
	into a special pot designated for payouts in the future, as normal
	insurance would, but rather goes into general government revenues.

	The regular insurance companies are worried because they don't think
	they're going to have enough in their "pot" to cover future payments
	if the courts keep awarding huge settlements.   I am not sure if
	UI input has ever matched UI outputs, (and it certainly doesn't now
	with unemployment at 9%), but have you ever heard the government
	scream about this imbalance ??   How many hours would Brian last
	as leader if he proposed that UI output = UI input ??

	The government doesn't even count UI payments as expenditures, but
	as extraordinary items.  The deficit figures of approx 30 billion
	annually do not include approx 7 billion payed out for UI.  This
	despite the fact that the "extraordinary" items happen every year,
	despite the accounting method having been argued against by the
	auditor-general.

	Given that Canadians have chosen to maintain a "safety net", I think
	we should at least be honest about how we go about collecting the
	revenue to pay for this net, as opposed to pretending that UI is an
	insurance plan to protect against unemployment, because it isn't.
	This would also stop confusion regarding who is entitled to the
	money, as has happened recently with some foreign students.

	Conclusion : foreign students pay UI only when they happen to get
	a paying job, and inasmuch as the UI they pay is being collected
	as general tax revenue, there is no reason to expect that they
	will ever see any back again, in the form of UI benefits.
	They see it indirectly however in the institution they attend
	as a large majority of at least the infrastructure of the
	place is supported by public money.   It also is seen indirectly
	in the general state of society around them (no bombs in the streets,
	no guerilla-warfare on the campus, public hospital for life
	threatening emergencies in every town, publications devoted to free
	speach by all individuals, etc, etc).   It takes money to provide and
	maintain this state of society, and in large part that is what the
	foreign student receives for their UI/tax dollar.   I don't really think
	they should expect anymore.

	They can expect to be told the truth about the situation however,
	and have every right to be angry about the fact that they were mislead
	to believe that UI is somehow related to a regular insurance program
	that would necessarily cover any period of personal unemployment.

	I am not saying that this is the way things should be, but rather
	this is my interpretation of the way things actually are.

						   Try not  to become  a  man
UUCP  : {decvax|ihnp4}!watmath!watdcsu!brewster    of success but rather  try
Else  : Dave Brewer, (519) 886-6657                to  become a  man of value.
                                                         Albert Einstein

brkirby@watdragon.UUCP (03/07/87)

In article <3094@watdcsu.UUCP> brewster@watdcsu.UUCP (Dave Brewer, SysDesEng, PAMI, UWaterloo) writes:
>>From: brkirby@watdragon.UUCP (Bruce Kirby)
>
>>I have just one question:
>>    Can "domestic" students collect UI?
>
>	Yes and no.  I know of several people who graduated at the
>	same time as I did, who arranged to start a full time job in
>	September, arranged to work as camp counsellors at resort
>	camps for the summer while being paid under the table, and
>	collected UI for the summer as they had workterms to support
>	minimum number of weeks worked.

But,  this doesn't really answer my question.  As far as I can tell,  there
is no discrimination for foreign students,  over domestic students,  when
it comes to collecting UI.  Anyone that is a full-time student,  if they
earn any money,  has to pay into UIC.  However,  none can collect from it.
I pay UI,  but am not eligible to collect.

If may be easier for Canadians to cheat the system,  but that is not the
issue.  What I'd like to know is:
	If someone is working here on a work visa and loses their job,  are
they eligible to collect UI?

Note:  I may be wrong about my understanding of students and UI,  but I
have always been under the impression that full-time students cannot
collect UI.

	Bruce Kirby