[can.politics] Who speaks for ...

pkern@utcsri.UUCP (06/03/87)

 ... Eugene Forsey?

Eugene Forsey.

	"Decentralize Canada? This gossamer, this shadowy, this cobweb central
authority could also have a distinctive flag -- 10 jackasses eating the leaves
off one maple tree ... "

	"The statement that Canada needs a new constitution and must have it
now is nonsense. It could be dangerous nonsense. You just give ground for every
tub thumper, blatherskate, demagogue and cocksure jackass that happens to be
loose in the country, and heaven knows there are enough of them of various
kinds and descriptions ... "

	"I keep quoting St. Paul, 'Let all things be done decently,
and in order'".

extracted from "A Funny Way to Run a Country" by Charles Lynch.

tech@auvax.UUCP (06/05/87)

In article <4865@utcsri.UUCP>, pkern@utcsri.UUCP (pkern) writes:
> Eugene Forsey.
>
> 	"Decentralize Canada? This gossamer, this shadowy, this cobweb central
> authority could also have a distinctive flag -- 10 jackasses eating the leaves
> off one maple tree ... "
>
> 	"The statement that Canada needs a new constitution and must have it
> now is nonsense...
>
> 	"I keep quoting St. Paul, 'Let all things be done decently,
> and in order'".

I am indifferant to the constitution and the charter of rights.  I am led
to believe that Great Britain has neither and the Soviet Union has both.
Need more be said???

It take a lot more paper work to drive a commercial truck across the one
country of Canada than it does to drive across Europe.  I hold an unpopular

	turf out the ten provinces and two territories and form one Province
	out of Alberta, Yukon, Saskatchewan, Makitoba, and the Western half
	of the North West Territories.
	Leave Ontario in tact.
	Form a Province out of Quebec, Labrador, and the Eastern NWT.
	Toss the maritimes into a fourth province.

The citizens will only benifit but the politicians would be infuriated.

Ooh what a grouch.

     *********	    73
    **********	    Richard Loken VE6BSV
   .      ****
  ..      ****	    Athabasca University
 ....     ****	    Athabasca, Alberta Canada
..........****	    ihnp4!alberta!auvax

bjorn@alberta.UUCP (06/06/87)

In article <178@auvax.UUCP>, tech@auvax.UUCP (Richard Loken) writes:
>In article <4865@utcsri.UUCP>, pkern@utcsri.UUCP (pkern) writes:
>> 	"The statement that Canada needs a new constitution and must have it
>> now is nonsense...
>I am indifferant to the constitution and the charter of rights.  I am led
>to believe that Great Britain has neither and the Soviet Union has both.
>Need more be said???

Pretty good, but yes, there is more to be said.  Plenty of countries
have glowing constitutional documents with a multitude of guarantees
shining brilliantly like stars in the night sky on every page.  They
are all worth less than the paper they are written on unless the courts
and the populace have a tradition of putting some starch into the pages
so liberally covered with grand designs.

To wit:

 a) In the US they have this tradition.  It appears not uncommon
    for people there to fight for a cause they fundamentally
    disagree with because of the breaching of the constitution that
    would otherwise result.  Various censorship/freedom of speech
    issues come to mind, admissibility of evidence, etc.

 b) Canada has no such tradition.  In fact the reverse seems to
    be developing.  Many (most that I've conversed with) people
    are quite willing to throw the principle into the wind when
    it suits them (talking about censorship vs. freedom of speech
    here), I'm sure you're all familiar with this.

 c) Icelands constitution dates back to 1944, and is one of those
    worthless gleaming documents.  Up until 2 years ago (or so) the
    courts here had ALWAYS interpreted the constitution in favor of
    the state, this includes challenges to the governments monopoly
    of radio and television broadcasting.  Have the people been
    incensed by this?  No not in general.  I feel that apathy of
    the population play's no small part in the courts prolonged
    favoritism of the state.
    A sizeable mass of the Supreme Court "old guard" has been
    retiring of late.  I must say that I was ecstatic when
    I heard of the first successful challenge of government
    action on constitutional grounds.  Since then there has
    been at least one other successful challenge.  In my mind
    there is not a shadow of a doubt that this is a direct
    result of the recent make-up of the court.
    Maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel somewhere,
    I'm not counting on it though.

I'm continually amazed at the foresight and class of the American
founding fathers, in so eloquently and accurately depicting the
assaults that would be made on their constitution as well as outlining
in full the cost of apathy and the constant sacrifices required to
keep the forces of enslavement at bay.

Now if you have an effective constitution you face another problem.
While the document must (obviously) be mutable, clearly this should
not be easily accomplished.  What's the right balance?  I just don't
know.  Look at what's happening in Canada at this moment.  While I
favor the Meech Lake accord (as if I had any say in the matter),
considering that it's probably what your going to end up with,
I don't understand the rush nor the resistance to public hearings
(airings) exhibited by certain premiers.  Why the steam-roller?
I find Getty's excuse singularly unconvincing (the time worn
politicians refrain: we were elected to govern for the people
and if we can't handle this we're not doing our jobs).
I'm gonna pop over to the library to see just what the minimum
preconditions for rewriting are. Ta-da.

	Reasonably yours in the age of unreasonability 1/2 B-),

			Bjorn R. Bjornsson
			{ubc-vision,mnetor}!alberta!bjorn

dave@lsuc.UUCP (06/08/87)

In <178@auvax.UUCP> tech@auvax.UUCP (Richard Loken) writes:
>	turf out the ten provinces and two territories and form one Province
>	out of Alberta, Yukon, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and the Western half
>	of the North West Territories.
>	Leave Ontario in tact.
>	Form a Province out of Quebec, Labrador, and the Eastern NWT.
>	Toss the maritimes into a fourth province.
>
>The citizens will only benifit but the politicians would be infuriated.

So will the British Columbians. Or are they supposed to secede? :-)
After all, if we're not going to get the Turks & Caicos, at least
let's keep Vancouver!

David Sherman
Toronto
--
{ seismo!mnetor  cbosgd!utgpu  watmath  decvax!utcsri  ihnp4!utzoo } !lsuc!dave