[can.politics] Freedom of Speech

coatta@grads.cs.ubc.ca (Terry Coatta) (03/02/88)

Subject: Re: Re: tobacco advertising ban
Newsgroups: can.politics

> In article <2615@dciem.UUCP> mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) writes:
>
> WHAT A CROCK!!!
> The very idea of trying to "balance" freedom of speech is foolish.  The job
> of society is to assume that its citizens are responsible (they can vote,
> can't they?).
>
> "Drawing a line" for freedom of speech is absolutely abhorrent to me.  Our
> free society should permit ANYONE to say ANYTHING ANYWHERE at ANY TIME.
> If you want to try to sell an idea to the society at large, it is the
> responsibility and right of that population to listen or not.  Government
> has no place legislating morality.

And as long as we have freedom of speech which is absolute lets have
freedom of action which is absolute as well.  After all we're
all responsible citizens aren't we.  None of us would murder
anyone, steal anything, or otherwise do anything untoward.  Those
laws against murder are just legislated morality and we don't
want any of that do we?

Terry Coatta
Dept. of Computer Science, UBC, Vancouver BC, Canada
coatta@grads.cs.ubc.cdn

`What I lack in intelligence, I more than compensate for with stupidity'