[can.politics] Argumentum ad Aspersiam

daveb@geac.UUCP (David Collier-Brown) (03/07/88)

In article <1083@deepthot.UUCP> areski@deepthot.UUCP (Areski) writes:
|	I agree. Nice little retarded boys next door should be canned
|at birth to provide dog feed for the pets of bright little girls down
|the block.

   That might be a good response if we were discussing eugenics.
   That might be a good policy if one was very concerned about eugenics.

   But as a response to a an argument of the form "X doesn't work
in the limiting case" (albeit tongue-in-cheek) it falls a bit short.

--dave (see footnote) c-b
[footnote: A nasty response here would be to suggest Areski is
    actually concerned with eugenics, and point out its association
    with Naziism. That would be argumentum ad aspersiam et
    fingerpointiam --dave]
--
 David Collier-Brown.                 {mnetor yunexus utgpu}!geac!daveb
 Geac Computers International Inc.,   |  Computer Science loses its

morgan@brambo.UUCP (Morgan W. Jones) (03/10/88)

In article <2393@geac.UUCP> daveb@geac.UUCP (David Collier-Brown) writes:
> [...]

No, I didn't say that!  Somebody's got their responses mixed up, and
I've missed a couple of days worth of news so I can't tell who.

There is only one right that every human being has, the right to die;
as of yet, no one can take this right away.  Other than that, the only
rights people have are those written in the constitution of the country
that they live in, and even then only until it is convenient for
someone to take that right away from them.

But everyone does deserve to live according to what they earn, and
this is what this whole discussion is about.

The whole problem is that people aren't being allowed to benefit from
what they have done in their lives.  My parents are now nearing
retirement - both of whom have worked hard all of their lives.  They
both have put in extra hours for many years to ensure that thier jobs
get done, even when more is expected of them than was reasonable.

But, by the time that they retire, they'll be poor.  Why?  Because
they support the people who don't support themselves.  All of their
lives they've contributed to CPP, but that will be gone shortly, or
small enough that it won't matter.  They've contributed to UIC, but
never been in a situation where they could use it. Now, most of their
free money (after eating, shelter, clothes, etc.) goes to property
taxes, income taxes, sales tax, gas tax, etc.  And at every budget,
more is taken away from them.

And they say that this is to help the underpriveledged.

But they didn't start out with any advantages.  My mother grew up on a
farm during the depression where they were so poor that they had to
give away soe of their children (to be used as labourers) because they
couldn't afford to feed themselves.  My father, who was older, moved
from town to town working at odd jobs.

But after working for forty years and being very careful with their
money they'll have nothing to show for it.  This is what the problem
is.

Basically, what it comes down to is that the rich get richer, the poor
get richer, and the middle class gets F-CKED!

		America!  Home of the handgun.

		Canada!  Home of the free ride.

--
Morgan Jones - Bramalea Software Inc.        morgan@brambo.UUCP
      ...!{uunet!mnetor!lsuc!ncrcan, utgpu!telly}!brambo!morgan

daveb@geac.UUCP (David Collier-Brown) (03/10/88)

In article <2393@geac.UUCP> I wrote:
> [...]

That was wrong: Kenneth Warkentyne <hwarkentyne@watdragon.waterloo.cdn>
wrote and corrected me as follows...

  Dave, you got the attributions wrong.  I wrote in favour of "equal
  chance to succeed", not Morgan.

Sorry guys!

--dave