[can.politics] Canada: one or two cultures?

tremblay@philmtl.philips.ca (Michel Tremblay) (07/21/89)

In article <89Jul19.104948edt.18727@me.utoronto.ca> flint@me.utoronto.ca (Kenneth Flint) writes:
>In article <604@philmtl.philips.ca> tremblay@philmtl.philips.ca (Michel J. Tremblay) writes:
>>Please keep in mind that most people in Que'bec dont really care
>>about Canada (Day).
>
>If this statement is true, then I guess I shouldn't have been surprised
>by the Gallop poll released this week that stated the majority of
>english speaking Canada believes it is Que'bec's goal to separate from
>the country.
>
>In my opinion we would be losing a vibrant part of our culture.

I dont know how you can talk about 'our (canadian) culture' without using
plurial.  Canada like many other countries (Swiss, Belgium...) do not have a
true culture but is composed of a many cultures. For Canada that is an
English Canadian culture and a French Canadian culture. The English Canadian
culture (that I assume you are part of) would not lose anything in the event
of a Que'bec separation. With or without separation, anyone who care may
enjoy our 'vibrant' French Canadian culture.

From  Michel J. Tremblay at :

Email		: tremblay@philmtl.philips.ca
Phone		: +1 514 744 8200 ext. 2416
Snail Mail	: Philips Electronique, Inc.