[can.politics] Teachers

dre@myrias.com (Duane Eitzen) (12/04/89)

In article <1989Dec2.174136.8014@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> chandru@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Chandru Krishnan) writes:

>    I have my own axe to grind with teachers. When Paki-bashing was at its
>height in those nightmarish years of 1974-78 (and even in a toned down way
>after that) teachers said and did virtually nothing,except mouth a few
>platitudes and indifferently at that.
.
.
.
> Those were awfully rough times for someone between the age of 10-14,who
>had to take the crude racist garbage from the student population and racism
>of a more sophisticated kind from people who are supposed to know better!

Along similar lines, I had a teacher (from somewhere in south asia) who
publicly refered to his students as "white trash". We sure are an awful
species, eh?

dre.

elf@dgp.toronto.edu (Eugene Fiume) (12/05/89)

In article <1989Dec2.174136.8014@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> chandru@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Chandru Krishnan) writes:
>    I have my own axe to grind with teachers. When Paki-bashing was at its
>height in those nightmarish years of 1974-78 (and even in a toned down way
>after that) teachers said and did virtually nothing,except mouth a few
>platitudes and indifferently at that.

Please spare me (and us).  People in the marjority hardly need something so
obvious as skin colour to oppress.  Any immigrant that I know of has horror
stories to tell (me included, and I'm technically not an immigrant).  For me,
it caused me severe distress, until I learned to use my fists (hardly a good
solution) and my head (ah, a better solution).
--
Eugene Fiume
Dynamic Graphics Project