[net.books] Summer reading

dann@wxlvax.UUCP (Dan Neiman) (07/19/83)

  This news group has been awfully quiet as of late...

  Anyone in the mood for some lightweight summer reading?

  You could try something by Thorne Smith.  He did Topper, The Stray Lamb,
  Turnabout, Rain in the Doorway, Did She Fall? and so on.

  Most of these are fantasies of some sort of another, following the basic
  pattern of staid incredibly normal businessman is jolted out of his
  conformist routine by some odd phenomena, usually with the aid of
  an attractive and uninhibited young lady.

  The books were written somewhere around 1935 (at a guess).  Reasonably
  good fun.

  About the same era, P.G. Wodehouse's Jeeves books make for a reasonably
  well-spent evening.

  These authors be taken in fairly small doses.

  Dann

jdd@allegra.UUCP (07/20/83)

    From wxlvax!dann Wed Dec 31 19:00:00 1969
    Newsgroups: net.books
    Subject: Summer Reading

                      ... P.G. Wodehouse's Jeeves books make for a reasonably
      well-spent evening.

      These authors be taken in fairly small doses.

      Dann

The Jeeves novels and stories would make for a \large number/ of well-spent
evenings!  But why take them in small doses?  Pig out on them!  Read them
all!  No sooner put down one than read another!  Wodehouse lived until his
late nineties and was evidently typing the whole time.  When you finish the
Jeeves cycle you can start on the exploits at Blandings, and then...

Cheers,

John ("Bertie Wooster Is My Hero") DeTreville
Bell Labs, Murray Hill

thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) (07/23/83)

Wodehouse:  One of the first Wodehouse books I ever read had a blurb about
		the author on the back which said "P.G. Wodehouse is 87 years
		old and has written about a million books.  Or else, he is
		about a million years old and has written 87 books.  Either
		way, the figures are amazing."

	Read "Leave it to Psmith".  I think it is one of his best.  In
	Psmith, you can see the beginnings of a number of future Wodehouse
	characters, including Jeeves.

I also recently read (but can't remember the author or exact title), a
"biography" of Jeeves.  It was quite good, but is best read AFTER you have
devoured a large amount of Wodehouse, or you will miss a lot of the