[net.books] Nicaragua, Christ, Marx, TNOTR, Response....

gtaylor@cornell.UUCP (Greg Taylor) (06/22/84)

Newsgroups: net.politics,net.religion,net.books
Subject: Re: "Witness in Nicaragua" - Christ, Marx, and *The Name of the Rose*

I was curious myself to see whether anyone would post a response to
this article: First, I was pretty curious at the tie in with TNOTR
(Since I think that the "theological" content of the novel is best
considered as a de-academicized argument about semiotics and literature
(or, in some cases, a bit of Euro-politics in disguise). Its not  entirely
clear *what* the poster of the original article was actually thinking of
apart from some bit of "I read these at the same time and was impressed
by them both. They're probably related (a bit of  thinking that Eco himself
would, no doubt, approve of)."

I find the *Christian* response to the article (since I am one myself) a
bit wanting, though. Evidently we're taking swipes at Marx the Godless
atheist (more the "Marx reacts to Feuerbach" type, really), and running
a bit low on trying to listen to the writer. I'll give the article a try
myself, and hope that between the last posting amd me, there is some
sketch of the variety of CHristian responses:

Whoever wrote the original article has obviously never read Jacques Ellul,
whose synthesis of Marxist analysis  (note I said *analysis* and not
*ism*) and his own faith and practice (as a French Christian apologist
somewhat  in the mold of Lewis-though more political) and the Christian
faith goes pretty much unread in American Evangelical/Fundementalist
circles.[Note: if any of you would like to check into his work, I would
HIGHLY recommend "Perspectives on Our Age" published by Seabury Press.
It is rather unusual for Ellul in that it begins with a bit of personal
autobiography, and concludes with about the best summary of his thinking
that I've ever encountered.It's also very brief,and very pithy.].As such,
the writer finds himself in the position in which any "class analysis"
MUST be seem as *absolutely* antithetical to the tenets of Christianity.

He's not alone, I suspect. One thing about the response to the article
that bothered me somewhat was the somewhat flippant way that his criticism
of "Rich Christianity" was dismissed with a simple "Well, *some* people
are guilty, but..." It's precisely because of that sort of response that
our poor would-be Sandinista is so flabbergasted by the notion of
"liberation theology."...the poor guy is actually seeing someone make
a connection between belief and practice in a simple and direct way.
Moreover, that "somple and direct" way is intimately connected with *his*
life and *his* interests. He is, if you will, being "Evangelized"-not by
tracts, not by techniques (the four political laws?), but by LIVING in
the midst of people of faith. From the look of it, he likes what he sees
(though his prose is a bit on the fluffy side, and you might not really
be too crazy about his choice of vocabulary[this is a sort of instructive
article in terms of seeing "Faithspeak" as done by someone outside of
the Evangelical subculture, I think].). Maybe he will decide to act on
what he sees.

I'm not really that surprised that a good Marxist would be impressed by
the political/economic/social implications of the teachings of Christ.
Both groups really have quite a lot in common-largely in the way that they
view themselves, and in their notion that there is a "world-view"
embodied in their credo that guides their decisions.

Looking at this, I think its quite possible that I'll draw a bit of
flame for the political stance, so perhaps I should clarify somewhat:
I have pretty mixed feelings about the Sandinista government: there are
real live Christians in the government (though hard pressed of late
due to the internal fighting) who aren't jailed or tortured, and who are
free to do as they please. In terms of the welfare of the people, the
current government is a model that the rest of Central America would do
well to watch. Even as staid a Christian organization as Bread for the
World gives them very hgih marks for really improving public health,
literacy, and instituting the first *real* agricultural land reform
the region has seen.

I find their treatment of certain indiginous populations pretty poor.
The Miskito Indians have suffered considerably at their hands, and are
now a sort of political hockey puck in the area. Moreover, the Sandinistas
are increasingly being pushed into a stance where they must act in
a repressive manner. I don't agree in the slightest, but I can't help
but wonder to what extent the Reagan administration's activity in the area
is responsible for hieghtening that (keep in mind that the Nicaraguans
have a long history of reason to be suspicious of the Yanqui). The real
situation is quite complex....and by far the most interesting analysis of
the situation that I've encountered has come from some elderly friends
of mine who were Wycliffe Missionaries to the country and know it
firsthand.

Boy, is this long or what? I shall summarize and quit:

There is some really interesting and worthwhile CHristian thought
done in the region where Marxist analysis and the Christian faith
meet-part of a larger body of Christian thinking  about the relaitionship
between belief and  political life, of which E.F. Schumacher's
"Small is Beautiful" is another example.  I don't think an ad hoc rejection is really necessary.

The original writer is living in a difficult and dangerous situation
in which he has seen something he has *enormous* respect for and
wants to talk about it. His language is naive and clumsy. The people
he is interested in claim to be Christians. It is a sort of Christianity
the writer has never seen, and seems to conflict with his notions
of Christianity and wealth that seem in part to be the basis of
his rejection of the faith. He is reevaluating that view at present.

Greg Taylor