directly from their replies.

From: ihnp4!watmath!csc (Computer Sci Club)

From: ihnp4!drutx!jt

From: ihnp4!seismo!rlgvax!cvl!maryland!mangoe

From: ihnp4!idi!kiessig

From: ihnp4!ihuxa!johnnyr

From: ihnp4!houxm!homxa!cl1667

From: ihnp4!trwrb!trwrba!suhre

From: ihnp4!seismo!rlgvax!cvl!maryland!hutch

From: ihnp4!mhuxi!princeton!tilt!stern

>By far, the best book I have ever read *about* the stock market is
>Burton Malkiel's "A Random Walk Down Wall Street."  He explains just
>about everything you would want to know: Dow Jones averages and how/why
>they tell you things, options, warrants, indices, convertibles, etc.  The
>book is softcover, relatively cheap, and exceptionally funny for an investment
>book (they tend to be drier than parts of Arizona).  I don't know who publishes
>it, but I would guess it's Princeton University Press.  If your local book
>place can't find it, try the local University (it's used quite a bit in
>corporation finance courses -- Malkiel teaches at Princeton), or in the
>worst case, write to the Princeton U-Store and mail order a copy: it's
>definitely worth having.
>      If you need it:  The Princeton University Store, 36 University Place,
>                       Princeton, NJ  08544  Attn: Textbook Orders.
>
>As far as other investment books go, look at William Donoghue's stuff --
>he's written about No-Load Mutual Funds, MM funds, stocks, etc.  He writes
>very clearly (even if you don't follow economics) and has some good advice.
>--Hal Stern
>  ihnp4!princeton!tilt!stern

So far, I have managed to scrounge a copy of _The Only Investment
Investment Guide You'll Ever Need_ by Andrew Tobias, and it looks
interesting.  In addition, a friend at work highly recommended
_High-Return, Low-Risk Investment_ by Thomas J. Herzfeld and Robert
F. Drach.  He (my friend) has been following the advice in the book
for about four months, and has shown a consistent 10% growth per month
(unfortunately, he was doing it on paper only!).

Thanx to all who replied, and special thanx to those who offered to
share their expertise in this area.  I did not reprint that info here
as I did not know if those people intended it to be public.
An additional thanx to Doug Hosking (...ihnp4!convex!hosking) who
suggested that I tune in to FNN, the Financial News Network on cable
TV.  Unfortunately, FNN airs during the day in Chicago on channel 60,
and they typically cut into it to put on cartoons and drivel like the
_20 Minute Workout_, where several attractive young ladies dressed only
in skin tight tights (I guess that's why they call 'em tights!) bounce
around together (Did *I* say that was drivel?  I guess I've been
married too long :-}).  (Was that a double chin?)
--

				Ron Lewen
				....ihnp4!tellab1!rcl

Th...th...th...th...that's all, folks!