[net.books] Lizard Music

chip@dartvax.UUCP (Brig Elliott) (08/09/84)

I have just read a book called "Lizard Music" by one D. Manus
Pinkwater.  It's written for the 6-10th grade level (I imagine),
but it deserves some praise.

If you can imagine Philip K. Dick for youngsters, this is it.
It includes: lizards that appear on TV and play weird and interesting
music (after the late-night talk shows), a prophetic man with a
chicken under his hat, and an average town named 'MacDonaldsville'.

I am not doing this book justice.  It's good.

boyajian@akov68.DEC (Jerry Boyajian) (08/10/84)

From:	dartvax!chip            8-Aug-1984 19:09:16

> I have just read a book called "Lizard Music" by one D. Manus
> Pinkwater.  It's written for the 6-10th grade level (I imagine),
> but it deserves some praise.

Don D'Ammassa, who does book reviews for the SCIENCE FICTION CHRONICLE, always
has good things to say about Pinkwater's books. If I can remember correctly, his
favorite is THE SNARKOUT BOYS AND THE AVOCADO OF DEATH.
	Don't feel reluctant about recommending books written for children or
teenagers. There are many good writers in that "field" whose books are worth
reading, such as Madeleine L'Engle, Judy Blume, Norma Fox Mazer, and Richard
Peck. I have a couple of shelves worth of "young adult" novels.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

jrb@wdl1.UUCP (jrb ) (08/10/84)

Other good books by Daniel Pinkwater are:

	Fat Men From Space
	The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death

				John R Blaker
				UUCP:	...!fortune!wdl1!jrb
				ARPA:	jrb@FORD-WDL1
				and	blaker@FORD-WDL2