[net.books] Peter Wimsey Question

nosmo@pyuxqq.UUCP (P Valdata) (08/23/84)

Once again my Latin fails me.  What are Peter and Harriet saying
near the end of Gaudy Night, when he asks "Placetne, Magister?"
and she replies "Placet!"  Is it from a quotation or are they just
being ultra-scholarly?
				Pat Valdata
				pyuxqq!nosmo

berry@zinfandel.UUCP (Berry Kercheval) (08/23/84)

In article <655@pyuxqq.UUCP> nosmo@pyuxqq.UUCP (P Valdata) writes:
>Once again my Latin fails me.  What are Peter and Harriet saying
>near the end of Gaudy Night, when he asks "Placetne, Magister?"
>and she replies "Placet!"  Is it from a quotation or are they just
>being ultra-scholarly?

Here is a translation (remember, Peter has been pestering Harriet to
marry him)
	Placetne, magister?		Does it please you, Mistress?
	Placet!				It pleases me.

In other words, she finally accepts his proposal.  I think 'magister'
is an inaccurate quote;  It means 'master' and is the term used by
those with degrees to address one another (in Latin); the feminine
form escapes me.
--
Berry Kercheval		Zehntel Inc.	(ihnp4!zehntel!zinfandel!berry)
(415)932-6900

monique@ucla-cs.UUCP (08/24/84)

They are being extra-scholarly. "Placet" is in the English dictionary!

betsy@dartvax.UUCP (Betsy Hanes Perry) (08/24/84)

As far as I know, they're just being scholarly.
Wimsey says 'Placetne, Magistra?'
Harriet says 'Placet'.

This translates, roughly, to
'Does it please (you), Mistress?'
'It pleases.'

Isn't Sayers' habit of non-translation maddening?  I nearly went bats
over the ending of Clouds of Witness until I found an American edition
which provided a translation of the crucial letter.

I apologize to any true Latin scholars for the crudity of my translation.
--
Betsy Perry
UUCP: {decvax|linus|cornell}!dartvax!betsy  "What is Truth?" said

cdl@mplvax.UUCP (Carl Lowenstein) (08/25/84)

My copy of Gaudy Night says "Placetne, magistra?" which is appropriately
feminine.

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) (08/28/84)

I am not sure, as my knowledge of Latin is, to say the least, slight, but I
believe that this is not a quote... Lord Peter was searching for a way of
popping the question (after he had done it about 60 times) that would
reflect just the right tone, and in Latin, with the various tenses, he had
quite a few to pick from.

This book is right up there on my list of favorites... possibly the only
intelligent romance (about intelligent people falling in love, and the
problems therin) I know of.  And Harriet's doubts about getting married (not
wanting to lose her independence, etc.) were far ahead of the time (1935),
methinks.  Give this a look.

				"You gave them to me, and I loved them."

					Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
					John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.
UUCP:
 {cornell,decvax,ihnp4,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsrgv}!uw-beaver \
    {allegra,gatech!sb1,hplabs!lbl-csam,decwrl!sun,ssc-vax} -- !fluke!moriarty
ARPA:
	fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA

colonel@gloria.UUCP (George Sicherman) (08/28/84)

[pearls before swine]

>>	In other words, she finally accepts his proposal.  I think
>>	'magister' is an inaccurate quote;  It means 'master' and is
>>	the term used by those with degrees to address one another (in
>>	Latin); the feminine form escapes me.

The feminine form is of course "magistra."  This has no bearing on
degreed scholars, since women did not take degrees; but the term
was subsequently used by schoolboys to address a schoolmaster.

I have no idea whether the quote is accurate, or what (if anything) it
alludes to.
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
...seismo!rochester!rocksanne!rocksvax!sunybcs!gloria!colonel