[net.books] Computer Book suggestions?

edelson@mhuxi.UUCP (edelson) (11/19/84)

Can anyone recommend a book for a teen-ager who has gotten interested in
computers, but who is not the greatest student?

spector@acf4.UUCP (11/22/84)

Of general interest and fun, there is:

		Digital Deli
		Edited by Steve Ditlea
		Workman Publishing
		~$12.95
		ISBN:0-89480-591-6

...and...

		HACKERS, Heros of the Computer Revolution
		By: Steven Levy
		Anchor Press - DoubleDay
		$17.95
		ISBN:0-385-19195-2

Both are a lot of fun, and can really get you into more Computer Folklorica.
I would recommend them both to anyone even thinking of getting into computers,
just so they know the kind of company they will be keeping...

				David Spector
				NYU/acf Systems Group
				Spector@nyu-cmcl1.ARPA
				...!allegra!cmcl2!cmcl1!spector

sahunt@ubu.UUCP (Stephen Hunt) (11/26/84)

[[[[ Foo for the line eater ]]]]

-->Can anyone recommend a book for a teen-ager who has gotten interested in
-->computers, but who is not the greatest student?

Regrettably, no.  After seeing 'n' of the beginner's books on offer, I have
found that they fall into two categories:-

1.	'Learn Basic' type books.  These invariably tackle the subject from
	the wrong angle, or with the wrong emphasis.  One favourite mistake
	is spending scores of pages describing every possible detail of,
	say, the PRINT statement.  This only serves to give the novice the
	impression that things like screen layout are much more important
	than they in fact are.  These books never teach the student how to
	tackle a problem in a sensible way (top-down design, etc).

2.	Books which claim to give a general introduction to computing, using
	a non-BASIC language for the examples.  These usually take a better
	approach to the subject than the Basic ones do, and don't get bogged
	down in irrelvant details so much.  But how many novices have access
	to a computer with a non-BASIC language?

As I see it the market needs a good introduction to programming with the
emphasis on how to approach problems in a sensible way.  The books in
category 1 leave you with the impression that programming means sitting down
at the keyboard and lambing straight into the Gotos.  Unfortunately, we seem
to be stuck with Basic as a beginner's language, simply because all
the home micros are supplied with it as standard; this situation doesn't
need to be made worse by books stressing the wrong aspects of programming.

If anyone wants to contradict all that, I too would be very pleased to know
of a good introductory book.

  Steve Hunt        		... mcvax!ukc!qtlon!flame!ubu!sahunt

donb@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Don Brotemarkle) (11/26/84)

From the November 19, 1984 edition of INFOWORLD:

Publishing / Q&A: John Brockman (p.54)
by Jim Bartimo

(excerpt)

Q:	First there was a rash of how-to books, now there is a rash of
computer history books.  How are these trends established, and what do
you think the next trend will be?

A:	The trends are driven by market need.  It's obvious why there was
a raft of introductory computer books.  The history books stem from
consumer's need to have some meaning attached to their purchases.  I
find that whenever a new technology is dropped into the society, there
is an aftermarket for books that users buy not necessarily to learn
about the technology but to confirm the validity of the money they
spent.

Don Brotemarkle
System Development Corporation
uucp: {ihnp4,akgua,allegra,hplabs}!sdcrdcf!donb
--
		signed,
			Don Brotemarkle

srm@nsc.UUCP (Richard Mateosian) (11/29/84)

In article <337@ubu.UUCP> sahunt@ubu.UUCP (Stephen Hunt) writes:

>As I see it the market needs a good introduction to programming with the
>emphasis on how to approach problems in a sensible way.
>Unfortunately, we seem
>to be stuck with Basic as a beginner's language, simply because all
>the home micros are supplied with it as standard; this situation doesn't
>need to be made worse by books stressing the wrong aspects of programming.

May I modestly suggest "Inside BASIC Games" by Richard Mateosian
(Sybex, 1981).  This book is not about games but about how to program
systematically in BASIC.  Its principal technique is to write each
program in a precise pseudocode called Free BASIC and then to translate
by hand into BASIC. Progressively more difficult programs are attacked
in this way, ending with several that are quite sophisticated.
--
Richard Mateosian
{cbosgd,decwrl,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!srm    nsc!srm@decwrl.ARPA

arlan@inuxd.UUCP (A Andrews) (12/05/84)

[wee lines for the wee folk...]

I might suggest four books published by Howard W. Sams Co.,
here in Indianapolis, and authored by my good friend, Joe
Giarratano--INTRODUCTION TO BASIC, ADVANCED BASIC, FUNDAMENTALS OF
COMPUTER TECHNOLOGY and (I forgot the other one!!!)

Joe's books have had good reviews and fairly good sales--but some
are being remaindered now that the entire computer book market is
in a shake-out, so you might get them for a good price.

(Mine were free, since I helped him with the editing...)

--arlan andrews (co-author of the late lamented introductory games
series, TIMELOST:  A COMPUTER ADVENTURE, published by the un-late
and unlamented *** corp., with Giarratano and Kris Andrews, 16)

werner@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (12/07/84)

[zap]
The Cartoon Guide to COMPUTER SCIENCE - by Larry Gonick.  $5.25

[ if lecture-notes were in this format, studying would be faster and less
  tidious.   A picture saves a thousand words ..... ]