[net.books] Re. Porn debate

arndt@lymph.DEC (01/29/85)

Yes, PLEASE move the porn debate elsewhere!!!!!

Net.books is the last outpost of calm, reasoned, nearly always interesting
discourse on the net.  Let's have no more upset here please.

Paul Dubuc took the time to give his usual calm reasoned - yes yes reasoned -
answer and gets flamed at by boo boos like Tim M. who misunderstand the
Constitution.  NO ONE has an absolute right to print ANYTHING - never did.
Like it or lump it this country and this constitution was set up under basicallyChristian assumptions about man (has a dark side that needs to be watched) and
so there are checks and balances - limits!

It seems very clear to me that what Tim & co. are against is this Christian
(without a particular sect of Christian belief being top dog) base to our
government.  So when the morals our government mandates (as it does!) flow
from a Christian viewpoint of the past and present majority, they feel left
out - as they should, being in the minority - and misunderstanding the process
is not helping their cause.  Besides, there is, and always has been a wide
range of behavior available to minorities under our Constitution.  Live with
what you got!!

Sorry for the comments in a posting calling for an end to comments on the
topic.

Love to all,

Ken Arndt

crm@duke.UUCP (Charlie Martin) (01/31/85)

In article <376@decwrl.UUCP> arndt@lymph.DEC writes:
>Yes, PLEASE move the porn debate elsewhere!!!!!
	< much other discussion posted to net.followup and net.flame,
	  I only post the part that seems reasonably related to net.books

>Paul Dubuc took the time to give his usual calm reasoned - yes yes reasoned -
>answer and gets flamed at by boo boos like Tim M. who misunderstand the
	... better to be a booboo than reason like BamBam: this
	psuedoargument ("flamed at by boo boos...") is called the *ad
	hominem (abusive)* argument.

>Constitution.  NO ONE has an absolute right to print ANYTHING - never did.
	... funny, I always *thought* I understand the Constitution,
	and funny, that's the way *I* read it.  "The right of freedom of the
	press... shall not be abridged."  Seems pretty explicit.

	 -- rest in net.followup and net.flame --

	 See, I tried! Honest!

--
		Opinions stated here are my own and are unrelated.

				Charlie Martin
				(...mcnc!duke!crm)