[net.books] poem about pedestalization of women

cjh@petsd.UUCP (Chris Henrich) (02/04/85)

[]
	Larry Kolodney writes:
> I have a vague recollection of a quotation that somebody posted to the
> net about two years ago on the subject of infatuation and the
> pedestalization of women.  It was some form of poem which basically said
> that this man was flabergasted when he discovered that the woman
> who he was infatuated with performed certain excretory functions.

	I think this is in a poem by Jonathan Swift:

		"Yet this near drove me from my wits:
		Celia, Celia, Celia, s----."

Swift seems to have had a hangup in that area.  You can find
it discussed in _Life_Against_Death_ by Norman O. Brown.
	BTW, most editions of _Gulliver's_Travels_ are heavily
expurgated.  If you read the full version you will know why;
it is *gross*.

Regards,
Chris

--
Full-Name:  Christopher J. Henrich
UUCP:       ..!(cornell | ariel | ukc | houxz)!vax135!petsd!cjh