[net.books] How do you proofread electronically?

djw@lanl.ARPA (02/26/85)

I proofread many of our articles for the "C-Division News" by stealing
an online copy of the article, fixing it with my favorite editor, then
mailing the thing back to the author.  People so far have been astounded
that anyone "cares" enough to read the articles before publication that
they have accepted the changes they liked and gone on about their business.

However; I finally did this to someone who didn't care about what I was
doing.  He may even have felt just the tiniest bit of resentment.  And
furthermore, he couldn't easily see my changes.  How do you people who
do these things do them?  I was a writer/editor for ~7-8 years, so I'm
reasonably good at it, but I don't feel that marking up a paper copy is
productive.  I type well and am quite capable of fixing these articles to
improve their readability, so what tools do you use if both copies look
like disk files?  I suggested that he "diff" the files and check the
results but he said that that doesn't give him a feel for the context;
and besides, that's too much trouble...  If I had just given him a paper
copy marked up as other people do (assuming he had gotten any other
comments) he would have known what to do with it.  I suggested
that he print the one I "mailed" him and do whatever he wanted to
with it.  :<)*

These articles are less than 300 words long, so I felt that his objections
were directed more at my temerity than my style; but, what tools are
available on a plain vanilla UNIX(tm) system?  Avoiding the issue has
never been my style.  But if I am truly making his work inordinately
hard, then I am wrong.  What else could I have done?

Thanks in advance.
David Wade
Los Alamos National Laboratories
Consulting Office

laura@utzoo.UUCP (Laura Creighton) (03/02/85)

The person whose work you proofread may be uninterested in your
help. I guarantee that if you had an account on utzoo and started
proofreading ~laura/mem/fiction and ~laura/mem/poetry you would
get a very hostile reaction from me -- especially since they are
not publicly readable.

If I am writing anything that is not code I have to revise it
on paper and then put the changes into my text. Proofreading
is simply something that I do with a pen in one hand. If the pen
isn't there, I read for pleasure rather than critically, which is
not the idea. (It works in reverse, as well -- if I have a pen
in my hand I mark up the fiction I am reading...).

Such habits are hard to break. It took me years before I could
type my first draft at all -- before then I had to write the
first draft in longhand. I know people who can type the first
draft, but only on a typewriter -- a terminal doesn't feel the
same and the words don't come.

There is lots about writing which nobody, even writers themselves,
understand.

Laura Creighton
utzoo!laura

trb@masscomp.UUCP (Andy Tannenbaum) (03/08/85)

In article <22428@lanl.ARPA> djw@lanl.ARPA writes:

> I suggested that he "diff" the files and check the
> results but he said that that doesn't give him a feel for the context;
> and besides, that's too much trouble...
> what tools are
> available on a plain vanilla UNIX(tm) system?  Avoiding the issue has
> never been my style.  But if I am truly making his work inordinately
> hard, then I am wrong.  What else could I have done?

If you call Sys III or SysVr2 a vanilla system, then sdiff might be
the answer to your troubles.  It diffs two files side by side on the
page.  Puts | in between for changed lines, > for added lines, < for
removed lines.  You might want to use fmt or some other cheap hack to
make the lines 60 characters long, so the side by side output can fit
on a 132 column page.  Do what suits your taste.

You say you only have 4.2bsd?  Hey Bunky, that's too bad.

	Andy Tannenbaum   Masscomp  Westford, MA   (617) 692-6200 x274