[net.books] Mystery Recommendation: Robert B. Parker's Spenser

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) (04/01/85)

While I tend to base which mystery series I read less on the detective genre
(e.g. British sitting room sleuth, Tough private eye, cynical police
detective, etc.) than on the author, I admit I have shyed away from American
private eye novels, in preference to Sayers, Stout (I have never really
thought of Archie Goodwin as the "lone wolf" type), and Lawrence Block's
Bernie Rhodenbarr books.  So it was with great suprise that I found myself
enjoying Robert Parker's "The Godwulf Manuscript", his first novel featuring
his Boston PI Spenser (I don't know if we ever find out if he has a first
name).  Even though the plot is somewhat dated, Parker's extremely witty and
fast-pased dialogue has captured my interest.  Now, with about four Spenser
books behind me (and 5 to go -- hurrah!), I really must recommend these to
you.  The current one I'm reading, "Looking for Rachael Wallace", is far and
away the best one so far; his regular characters are all here, the dialogue
has never been funnier, and the situation is suprisingly suspenseful.  The
characters are drawn in such a way that you really feel for them, and
Spenser, who seems to feel that protecting every person in the world who has
gotten a raw deal, seems justifiable in his actions -- you really end up
rooting for him.

Anyway, a very good (and surprisingly thought-provoking) series.  I
recommend it to you highly.

		"Machismo," Rachael said.  "The machismo code.  He's locked
	into it, and he can't explain himself, or apologize, or cry
	probably, or show emotion."
		"I throw up good, though. And I will in a minute."

					Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
					John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.
UUCP:
 {cornell,decvax,ihnp4,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsrgv}!uw-beaver \
    {allegra,gatech!sb1,hplabs!lbl-csam,decwrl!sun,ssc-vax} -- !fluke!moriarty
ARPA:
	fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA

avolio@grendel.UUCP (Frederick M. Avolio) (04/03/85)

Yes...  I like Spenser, too. (In moderation.) Interestingly enough
(what a dumb phrase.... well, anyway you be the judge) I read my first
Spenser novel after reading a piece about the author and character in
the *Wash.  Post* food section. (Spenser can cook, you see...  But
don't try all of the recipes.  Parker admitted that he never actually
tried many of them.  He made them up to sound interesting.)

Anyway, Spenser is kind of like the best characters Bogart played in
movies (all of them, you say?).  The books are very light reading.
But fun.
--
Fred Avolio      {decvax,seismo}!grendel!avolio      301/731-4100 x4227

In article <479@grendel.UUCP> avolio@grendel.UUCP (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:
>Yes...  I like Spenser, too. (In moderation.) Interestingly enough
>(what a dumb phrase.... well, anyway you be the judge) I read my first
>Spenser novel after reading a piece about the author and character in
>the *Wash.  Post* food section. (Spenser can cook, you see...  But
>don't try all of the recipes.  Parker admitted that he never actually
>tried many of them.  He made them up to sound interesting.)
>
>Anyway, Spenser is kind of like the best characters Bogart played in
>movies (all of them, you say?).  The books are very light reading.
>But fun.

	By the way, last night I went to a preview showing of a TV
pilot for a series based on these books. If it got good reviews
from the audience it might even show up on TV! I thought the
dialog was a little corny, but otherwise it was a decent, if
merely ordinary, detective show.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
or {ttdica|quad1|bellcore|scgvaxd}!psivax!friesen