[net.books] The world of Sherlock Holmes

credmond@watmath.UUCP (Chris Redmond) (04/10/85)

I've just come back to net.mail after some months of not reading it,
and am delighted to find a discussion about Sherlock Holmes -- my
greatest enthusiasm in life! -- going on here.

Even those of us who are practically full-time Sherlockians are having
trouble keeping up with the "pastiches" (the accepted in-word for
Holmes stories not written by the original Doyle).  There are dozens
of them and they're almost all awful, although Prisoner of the Devil
(Hardwick) and a couple of others are pretty acceptable.

All of them are listed in the book-size bibliographies of Holmes and Watson
compiled by Ronald De Waal of Colorado State University (two volumes in
print, a third one due shortly) but of course there is a several years'
delay before the listings appear. (The first book-length pastiche, The
Misadventures of Sherlock Holmes, actually a collection of short tales,
dates from 1944.)

In the shorter run, they're generally reported in the Sherlockian journals,
of which there are dozens -- about three major ones and lots and lots of
local newsletters.

I would be happy to provide the address of anybody's nearest Sherlockian
society (most North American cities and college towns have them) on
request.

You'll get a faster response from me if you use the address
    watdcs!credmond
since I am only on watmath occasionally.

mupmalis@watarts.UUCP (mike upmalis) (04/14/85)

In article <13856@watmath.UUCP> credmond@watmath.UUCP (Chris Redmond) writes:
>I've just come back to net.mail after some months of not reading it,
>and am delighted to find a discussion about Sherlock Holmes -- my
>greatest enthusiasm in life! -- going on here.

The authour of the above posting is the author of a wonderful book,
with an even more wonerful title of "In Bed With Sherlock Homes", a
book that explores  sexual innuendo in the Victorian times of the
greatest detective, while it may be boosterism to promote the work
of a fellow Waterloonie, the book has been described as the best mix
of academe and investigation with a healthy dose of dry humour and
reverance for the world's greatest detective.

The book is out in hardcover in Candada, however I cannot
relate any details about what is happening in the states/world?
I suspect that the author could handle some inquiries, but I think your
local bookstore may be beter prepared.

Strongly recommened..

--
~~