[net.books] Superforce by Davies

lucius@tardis.UUCP (Lucius Chiaraviglio) (03/19/85)

_
	Has anyone read or heard of a book called SUPERFORCE by Davies (I
think that's the last name; I can't remember the first name)?  I know what the
book is about to a rough approximation but I don't know how credible it is.  I
was wondering whether it was worth my $16.95.

	It purports to be a book on a theory (or theories) about unification
of the "fundamental forces" (strong, electromagnetic, weak, and gravitational)
and about the recent theories of how spacetime is constructed, with 11 dimen-
sions, 7 of which are too tightly curved to see with current technology (an
article on this appeared in the latest Scientific American -- it was quite
uninformative).  However, it also says things like if we could gain control
of the dimensions beyond our 3 spatial ones we would become Lords of the
Universe.  Now, the book might actually have something to support this as-
sertion, but in my past experience, this kind of thing goes with pseudo-
scientific quackery.

	I got the above from reading the thing on the inside of the cover and
looking at the table of contents.  I have not had a chance to read any of the
book itself, however, especially since I have not bought it yet because I don't
know if it is worth buying.  That is why I would like to hear the opinion(s) of
anyone who has read some or all of this book about whether or not it is worth
getting.

				-- Lucius Chiaraviglio
				seismo!tardis!lucius
				lucius@tardis.ARPA

bill@utastro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) (03/20/85)

> uninformative).  However, it also says things like if we could gain control
> of the dimensions beyond our 3 spatial ones we would become Lords of the
> Universe.
>
> 				-- Lucius Chiaraviglio
> 				seismo!tardis!lucius
> 				lucius@tardis.ARPA

Shouldn't this have been posted to net.tv.drwho?  :-)

"Men never do evil so cheerfully and so completely as when they do so from
	religious conviction."  -- Blaise Pascal

	Bill Jefferys  8-%
	Astronomy Dept, University of Texas, Austin TX 78712   (USnail)
	{allegra,ihnp4}!{ut-sally,noao}!utastro!bill	(uucp)
	bill%utastro.UTEXAS@ut-sally.ARPA		(ARPANET)

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (03/22/85)

In article <129@tardis.UUCP> lucius@tardis.UUCP (Lucius Chiaraviglio) writes:
>	I got the above from reading the thing on the inside of the cover and
>looking at the table of contents.  I have not had a chance to read any of the
>book itself, however, especially since I have not bought it yet because I don't
>know if it is worth buying.  That is why I would like to hear the opinion(s) of
>anyone who has read some or all of this book about whether or not it is worth
>getting.
>
>				-- Lucius Chiaraviglio
>				seismo!tardis!lucius
>				lucius@tardis.ARPA

i haven't read this book, but i have other books by davies and i think they
are excellent for scientifically-oriented poeple who want an overview
rather than a PhD disseration.  i suspect that the comments on the
cover and endsheets to be hyperbole on the part of the advertising people
who don't really understand what the book is about.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

lucius@tardis.UUCP (Lucius Chiaraviglio) (04/08/85)

_
	I am reposting this because my last postnews attempt choked to death
on a dead C-shell.  I doubt that anything even got past the /tmp/xxxxxx file,
but if it did, sorry for the inconvenience of the existence of the other
partial copy.

	Michael Bishop writes about Superforce:

> I have  read  it.  I think  the guy  makes a lot of  flowery  statements
> throughout the book.  He makes numerous comparisons of modern physics to
> mysticism,  existentialism,  and  non-objective  reality.  He also makes
> many  arguments in the book for the  existence of some "Cosmic  Creator"
> because the universe  obviously  displays so much order that it couldn't
> possibly  be the result of a random  event  (e.g., the old  watchmaker's
> analogy).  The author never considers that by supposing the existence of
> a creator to explain the  universe, he then leaves  himself  open to the
> question of who created the creator; a creator which obviously  can't be
> the result of a random event, if you stay with his analogy.
>
> In many  places  in the book I could  not  understand  his  usage of the
> terms:  nothingness,  cause,  effect,  vacuum,  reality, etc.  It seemed
> like his  definitions  were  fluid  meaning  one  thing in one place and
> something  else in another.  He  frequently  makes what I consider to be
> absurd  comments like  "Nothingness  is something  that is thriving with
> energy." And various other ludicrous statements about effects preceeding
> causes as though the meaning of the two words  "cause" and "effect"  can
> be simply  inverted or totally  disregarded  while you absorb  these new
> discoveries in physics.  I think the book is on par with UFO's,  Pyramid
> Power, and  Ancient  Astronauts;  that is, pulp  science.  Therefore,  I
> can't recommend this book to anyone.
>
> Michael Bishop
> hplabs!hpfcla!mike-b

	That's why I was asking about this book before I got it.  I strongly
suspected that it might be like this.  (I wonder why so many other people gave
it favorable reviews though?  Maybe I should get it just for the purpose of
reviewing it.  But then that probably wouldn't stop some other poor jerk like
me from wasting his money because of other favorable reviews.  But then how
am I to know it is actually a waste?  This is bad.)

	I once read a book on -- would you believe it -- black holes -- that was
very much like this.  Might have even by the same guy, although I can't
remember.  If I ever remember when I'm stopping by the Georgia Tech Library
I'll check it out just to give it the review it deserves to warn people away
from it.  Had all sorts of goofy things like Lucifer was red because his image
was trapped at the event horizon of the black hole where God had thrown him
(wouldn't stay red for a perceptible time anyway -- radiation would get
redshifted probably to lower than 4.3 blackbody radiation so fast you wouldn't
even get to see the last stages of his falling in, not to mention all the other
things that are -- I believe the word is "inane" -- about this concept).  More
goofy things like it were that it would be "unbearable" (or maybe it was
"unthinkable") to see a naked singularity (I could see that that might fry you
or something but the impression I got from the book was that the author meant
something was philosophically or morally wrong with it -- would you believe
that?  Maybe these pulp science writers are in with the Moral Majority or
something?  :-)).

	By the way, speaking of people making comparisons between physics and
"non-objective reality" and other mystical things -- that seems to be becoming
a fashion even among some respected scientists.  I can't figure out what the
deal is.  And articles I have seen in Scientific American on advanced physics
topics, such as the 11-dimensional space model, much of the more recent stuff
on the quark theory, and other similar things, seem to be as uninformative as
occult writings (and I can't understand the ones in the more technical
journals such as Science at all).  This could be just because my brain is too
primitive on the evolutionary scale to comprehend such high concepts, but I
can't get rid of the suspicion that a lot of the people making these theories
and writing these articles don't know what they're talking about.  Of course,
I'm sure the high priesthood would be most displeased that a mere normal, who
cannot comprehend their appreciation of the higher plane of existence of
Gordelpus (read Olaf Stapledon's (sp) Last and First Men), dares to question
their encyclicals.

--

		-- Lucius Chiaraviglio
		lucius@tardis.ARPA

> 	By the way, speaking of people making comparisons between physics and
> "non-objective reality" and other mystical things -- that seems to be becoming
> a fashion even among some respected scientists.  I can't figure out what the
> deal is.  And articles I have seen in Scientific American on advanced physics
> topics, such as the 11-dimensional space model, much of the more recent stuff
> on the quark theory, and other similar things, seem to be as uninformative as
> occult writings (and I can't understand the ones in the more technical
> journals such as Science at all).  This could be just because my brain is too
> primitive on the evolutionary scale to comprehend such high concepts, but I
> can't get rid of the suspicion that a lot of the people making these theories
> and writing these articles don't know what they're talking about.

You are merely seeing the consequences of a serious problem with
establishment philosophy that has undermined people's ability to
identify what constitutes genuine knowledge.  This subject has
been accurately covered in the writings of the late Ayn Rand, q.v.

mike@hpfclp.UUCP (mike) (04/12/85)

Subject: Re: Re: Superforce by Davies(?)?  (reposting)

> 	By the way, speaking of people making comparisons between physics and
> "non-objective reality" and other mystical things -- that seems to be becoming
> a fashion even among some respected scientists.

> You are merely seeing the consequences of a serious problem with
> establishment philosophy that has undermined people's ability to
> identify what constitutes genuine knowledge.  This subject has
> been accurately covered in the writings of the late Ayn Rand, q.v.

For anyone out there who wants  reassurance  that reality is  objective,
that  concepts  have meaning and are firmly  connected to reality,  that
objective  knowledge is possible, and that reason is man's only means to
discover new knowledge, I highly  recommend  INTRODUCTION TO OBJECTIVIST
EPISTEMOLOGY, by Ayn Rand.  I consider it to be the definitive book that
correctly identifies the origin and validity of knowledge and truth.

Michael Bishop
hplabs!hpfcla!mike-b

mike@hpfclp.UUCP (mike) (04/13/85)

[...]

hsf@hlexa.UUCP (Henry Friedman) (04/15/85)

You guys are not being quite fair to Davies.  Although he does get
(possibly) a bit carried away with philosophical implications in a
few places, SUPERFORCE is basically a solid description of
unification physics.  And as has been mentioned, some very solid
modern elementary particle physics, especially on the theoretical
side (not yet experimentally confirmed), can sound somewhat bizarre
on first exposure.

I recommend SUPERFORCE if you:

1) want a clear exposition of elementary particles and forces,
2) want to understand the progress that has been made in unification
   of the four forces, such as the Grand Unified Theories and
   supersymmetry.
3) want the clearest explanation I've yet seen on the relationship
   between purely geometrical theories of matter and forces, on the
   one hand, and the quantum (boson carrier of forces) approach, on
   the other hand.
4) want to understand the relationship between experimental and
   theoretical physics.

I suspect that some of the previous criticisms posted are not quite
accurate.  For example, although I haven't returned to the text to
check every accusation, I don't recall that Davies meant that
nothingness was full of energy, etc.  I do recall that he said that
space (spacetime) was different from nothingness, i.e., was part of
the physical universe.  And the Heisenberg Uncertainty principle allows
that virtual particles are continuallly popping in and out of existence
in "empty space."

A few of Davies conclusions about the virtual impossibility of proving
the supersymmetry theory seem to be already dated (see April 1985
issue of DISCOVER magazine, describing Carlo Rubbia's latest findings
in the article "The Ultimate Theory of Everything").  But such findings
only make the main discussion in SUPERFORCE that much more relevant and
interesting.

This is not to say you guys don't have some valid gripes about portions
of the book.  But discouraging people from reading it for the reasons
stated would be "throwing out the baby with the bath water."

--Henry Friedman