[net.books] Sherlock Holmes again

steiner@topaz.ARPA (Dave Steiner) (03/26/85)

I recently came across another Sherlock Holmes book by Frank Thomas
called

	Sherlock Holmes and the Treasure Train
--
uucp:   ...{harvard, seismo, ut-sally, sri-iu, ihnp4!packard}!topaz!steiner
arpa:   STEINER@RUTGERS

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) (03/27/85)

There is another one out called "The Case of the Ectoplasmic Man", where
Holmes meets Houdini.  Why they have to keep shoveling historical figures
into these, I'll never know...

Give it a C-.

       "You can thank the Rock 'n Roll detector for leading you to your doom!"
       "Thanks!"

					Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
					John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.
UUCP:
 {cornell,decvax,ihnp4,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsrgv}!uw-beaver \
    {allegra,gatech!sb1,hplabs!lbl-csam,decwrl!sun,ssc-vax} -- !fluke!moriarty
ARPA:
	fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA

stratton@brl-tgr.ARPA (Sue Stratton ) (04/04/85)

> There is another one out called "The Case of the Ectoplasmic Man", where
> Holmes meets Houdini.  Why they have to keep shoveling historical figures
> into these, I'll never know...
>
> Give it a C-.
>
>        "You can thank the Rock 'n Roll detector for leading you to your doom!"
>        "Thanks!"
>
> 					Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
> 					John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.
> UUCP:
>  {cornell,decvax,ihnp4,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsrgv}!uw-beaver \
>     {allegra,gatech!sb1,hplabs!lbl-csam,decwrl!sun,ssc-vax} -- !fluke!moriarty
> ARPA:
> 	fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA

I liked "Ectoplasmic Man" a little better than that, but that's neither
here nor there.  If you don't mind Holmes mixing with historical figures,
you might want to read another new one, "The Mycroft Memoranda" (available
from Magico or at the public library).  In it, Holmes meets and unmasks the
infamous "Jack the Ripper."  [Come to think of it, this might be a little
more fair than having him meet Houdini; after all, nothing says the greatest
detective had to meet the greatest magician of the day, but it makes sense
to think that the greatest detective sought the most horrible and elusive
criminal of the day...]

You might have a hard time swallowing the author's choice of identity for
the Ripper (I know I did), but the book had other redeeming features.  May-
be a B-.

Karen Wilson  <kwilson@amsaa.ARPA>

P.S.  What about net.books.holmes?  Just a thought.............

ted@usceast.UUCP (Ted Nolan) (04/15/85)

In article <9719@brl-tgr.ARPA> (Karen Wilson ) writes:

>I liked "Ectoplasmic Man" a little better than that, but that's neither
>here nor there.  If you don't mind Holmes mixing with historical figures,
>you might want to read another new one, "The Mycroft Memoranda" (available
>from Magico or at the public library).  In it, Holmes meets and unmasks the
>infamous "Jack the Ripper."  [Come to think of it, this might be a little
>more fair than having him meet Houdini; after all, nothing says the greatest
>detective had to meet the greatest magician of the day, but it makes sense
>to think that the greatest detective sought the most horrible and elusive
>criminal of the day...]
>
>You might have a hard time swallowing the author's choice of identity for
>the Ripper (I know I did), but the book had other redeeming features.  May-
>be a B-.
>
>Karen Wilson  <kwilson@amsaa.ARPA>
>
>P.S.  What about net.books.holmes?  Just a thought.............

Talking about unbelievable identities for Jack the Ripper...
In a book called (I think)  _Exit Sherlock Holmes_ .  We find out that
Holmes was in fact HIMSELF Jack the Ripper as well as Moriarty (sorry
Jeff).  The book details Watson's growing horror as he ferrets out the
truth.  He finally confronts Holmes at Richenback (sp?) and forces
enough sanity back into him for him to commit suicide rather than hurt
Watson. (So both Holmes and Moriarty both went down in the falls).
Watson admits that all the stories thereafter are fictional (or actually
happened earlier).  I can't really recomend this one - it's really a
downer.  (I kept waiting for some plot twist that would show that things
were not what they seemed, but it never came).

				Ted Nolan  ..usceast!ted
Ted Nolan                   ...decvax!mcnc!ncsu!ncrcae!usceast!ted  (UUCP)
6536 Brookside Circle       ...akgua!usceast!ted
Columbia, SC 29206          allegra!usceast!ted@seismo (ARPA, maybe)

      ("Deep space is my dwelling place, the stars my destination")

stratton@brl-tgr.ARPA (Sue Stratton ) (04/17/85)

> In article <9719@brl-tgr.ARPA> (Karen Wilson ) writes:
  [concerning Ray Walsh's "The Mycroft Memoranda," a recent Holmes pastiche]

> >You might have a hard time swallowing the author's choice of identity for
> >the Ripper (I know I did), but the book had other redeeming features.  May-
> >be a B-.
> >
> >Karen Wilson  <kwilson@amsaa.ARPA>
> >
> >P.S.  What about net.books.holmes?  Just a thought.............
>
> Talking about unbelievable identities for Jack the Ripper...
> In a book called (I think)  _Exit Sherlock Holmes_ .  We find out that
> Holmes was in fact HIMSELF Jack the Ripper as well as Moriarty (sorry
> Jeff).  The book details Watson's growing horror as he ferrets out the
> truth.  He finally confronts Holmes at Richenback (sp?) and forces
> enough sanity back into him for him to commit suicide rather than hurt
> Watson. (So both Holmes and Moriarty both went down in the falls).
> Watson admits that all the stories thereafter are fictional (or actually
> happened earlier).  I can't really recomend this one - it's really a
> downer.  (I kept waiting for some plot twist that would show that things
> were not what they seemed, but it never came).
>
> 				Ted Nolan  ..usceast!ted
> --
> Ted Nolan                   ...decvax!mcnc!ncsu!ncrcae!usceast!ted  (UUCP)
> 6536 Brookside Circle       ...akgua!usceast!ted
> Columbia, SC 29206          allegra!usceast!ted@seismo (ARPA, maybe)
>
>       ("Deep space is my dwelling place, the stars my destination")

I, too, read this books and waited for the "plot twist" that never came.  How-
ever, I think you have the title confused with that of yet another unpalatable
Holmes pastiche.  The story you mentioned is called THE LAST SHERLOCK HOLMES
STORY.   EXIT SHERLOCK HOLMES postulates Holmes and Moriarty as clones (from
the same mold) from the future; Moriarty has returned back to "primitive" Vic-
torian England because he thinks it'll be an easy world to conquer and rule;
Holmes is there to stop him.  In this one, Watson claims that it was Wiggins
(who had grown up to become a fine actor) who played the role of Altamont
in "His Last Bow," rather than Holmes, who had already departed for his own
time.

Karen Wilson