[net.books] Objective Reality

inc@fluke.UUCP (Gary Benson) (05/22/85)

> Objective  reality rests on the axiom that existence exists.  Axioms are
> arbitrary  you say?  Let anyone who does not  believe  this axiom try to
> prove a theory  without  using  it--that is, by means of  non-existence.
> The axiom implies two  corollaries:  That something  exists that one can
> perceive.  And  that  a  consciousness   exists  capable  of  perceiving
> something.  Existence is  identity.  A is A.  Yes, there are still a few
> of us who speak of  objective  reality,  and who are  living in the 20th
> century, although  unfortunately, we are a vanishing breed.  One thing I
> can tell you is that it is  damned-near-impossible  to communicate  with
> anyone who has never tried to grasp the full meaning of this fundamental
> axiom.  Those who have  acquiesced  to the point that they are no longer
> believe that it is possible to know something with certainty have become
> the  destroyers  of  science,  and  the  haters  of any  other  rational
> endeavor.   It is my  opinion  that  SUPERFORCE  ignores  the  axiom  of
> existence and proceeds to mutilate the concepts by which we interpret an
> objective   reality.  By  mutilating   these  concepts,  the  author  is
> mutilating man's mind.
>
> Michael Bishop
> hplabs!hpfcla!mike-b

*** ^^ THIS LINE ^^^^  SUX BIG TIME  ^^ ***

================= GB HERE, MB! =======----->

HEAR, HEAR! I am one of those unfortunately few who believe in an objective
reality. I particularly take exception to the notion that merely to observe
something results in changing it. The very simplest example can easily prove
this is a "truth": see that peri^od? How does it change when I turn my eyes
in it's direction, and then look away? I don't think it changed in anyway
whatsoever. It is still a area piece of phosphorescent material that was
excited by electons until it glowed. Only as you read this, it is doing it
on YOUR screen, not mine. It's still the same piece of data, though. Whether
it persists or not is another thing.

	 Whatever is not thought is nil and void; because we can
	 think only in terms of thought, and because all the worlds
	 of which we dispose speak only thoughts; to say that there
	 are things other than thoughts is a statement without meaning.
	 And yet - strange contradiction to those who believe in time -
	 geological history teaches that life is but a short episode
	 between two eternities of death, and that within this very
	 episode conscious thought did not and will not last but an
	 instant.  Thought: just a flash of lightning in the middle of
	 a long night.  And this flash is all!

                           -Henri' Poincare

--
 Gary Benson  *  John Fluke Mfg. Co.  *  PO Box C9090  *  Everett WA  *  98206
   MS/232-E  = =   {allegra} {uw-beaver} !fluke!inc   = =   (206)356-5367

west@sdcsla.UUCP (Larry West) (06/02/85)

In article <612@tpvax.fluke.UUCP> inc@fluke.UUCP (Gary Benson) writes:

>HEAR, HEAR! I am one of those unfortunately few who believe in an objective
>reality. I particularly take exception to the notion that merely to observe
>something results in changing it. The very simplest example can easily prove
>this is a "truth": see that peri^od? How does it change when I turn my eyes
>in it's direction, and then look away? I don't think it changed in anyway
>whatsoever. It is still a area piece of phosphorescent material that was
>excited by electons until it glowed. Only as you read this, it is doing it
>on YOUR screen, not mine. It's still the same piece of data, though. Whether
>it persists or not is another thing.

Ah me.   Well, here goes.

The idea that "observing things changes them" is actually rather well
established in quantum mechanics.   It is, in fact, one of the basic
principles of physics -- at the quantum level.   (A lot of "popular
science" books have suggested that this applies at our level, too.
This is generally nonsense, as your periodic example indicates.)

It is also a tenet of Taoism that the observer changes what she
observes.   This can be taken on many levels, if you give it a
sympathetic reading.   E.g., in social situations (i.e., where
what is being observed is "aware" of the observation), any social
psychologist will tell you this is true.   People react to being
observed.   At another level, one can take this in a very different
and difficult-to-explain way.   I'll give it a shot:

When you observe something, say a rose, you are doing many things.
The rose in a sense enters your head -- becomes a "memory".   At
first it will be a rather bleak and simple one.   As you observe
longer, you will see more detail and more regularity.   You will
begin to think of related things, perhaps of how such a beautiful
thing could be generated from a tiny bit of DNA, perhaps of how
roses arose in the process of evolution, perhaps of how nicely
the juxtaposition of petals and thorns reflects life....   As you
go through this process, your conception of that rose changes.
You link it up with other concepts.   Roses now mean something
a little different to you than they did before.

So what is a rose?   You and I have probably never seen the
same rose, yet we can no doubt agree that it wouldn't be too
hard to come to a mutually acceptable definition.

But what is reality then?   That which we can all agree upon?
This doesn't seem to be an acceptable definition of objective
reality.

So we can agree that there is an objective reality out there,
but what is it we experience?   If we can only perceive it through
our senses, and interpret it based upon our past experiences,
then how objective can our discussion be?

-----

I'm not sure how I'd answer that last one myself.   The point of
this was just to illustrate how sticky "objective reality" (or
Truth, or Beauty, or The American Way) becomes, once you start
talking to another person.

My apologies for sending this to net.books, but that's where this
started from.   Then again, I presume the Subject line was enough
to scare most people away...
--

Larry West			Institute for Cognitive Science
(USA+619-)452-6220		UC San Diego (mailcode C-015) [x6220]