[net.books] source for quote needed

glenm@mako.UUCP (Glen McCluskey) (06/03/85)

Can someone tell me what work the fragment

	...burning bright, in the forests of the night.

is taken from?

	Glen McCluskey
	..tektronix!mako!glenm

prem@eagle.UUCP (Swami Devanbu) (06/04/85)

> Can someone tell me what work the fragment
>
> 	...burning bright, in the forests of the night.
>
> is taken from?

I think it's from the GE commercial. It even rhymes with

"... bring good things to light!"

tee hee.

Swami Devanbu
{ihnp4,allegra,ucbvax,vax135}!eagle!prem

cib@lanl.ARPA (06/05/85)

> Can someone tell me what work the fragment
>
> 	...burning bright, in the forests of the night.
>
> is taken from?
>
> 	Glen McCluskey
> 	..tektronix!mako!glenm

               The Tyger
        William Blake (1757-1827)

Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
In the forests of the night
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

jpexg@mit-hermes.ARPA (John Purbrick) (06/05/85)

> Can someone tell me what work the fragment
> 	...burning bright, in the forests of the night.
> is taken from?
> 	Glen McCluskey

Sure. It's from "The Tiger" by William Blake, the British painter-philosopher-
poet (fl ca 1800), and there are several verses of which I only know the first
one.

Tiger, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy dreadful symmetry?

John Purbrick					jpexg@mit-hermes.ARPA
{...decvax!genrad!  ...allegra!mit-vax!}  mit-eddie!mit-hermes!jpexg

wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) (06/05/85)

In article <804@mako.UUCP> glenm@mako.UUCP (Glen McCluskey) writes:

>Can someone tell me what work the fragment
>
>	...burning bright, in the forests of the night.
>
>is taken from?

It's from a poem in William Blake's "Songs of Innocence And
Experience" called (I think) something like "Tiger, Tiger:"

      Tiger, Tiger burning bright,
      In the forests of the night;
      What immortal hand and eye
      Dared frame Thy fearful symmetry?
                 .
                 .
                 .

is about all I recall of the poem at the present moment. I can't
guarantee the accuracy of what I've quoted, either. You'll find
it in almost any anthology of Romantic poetry (try Norton's Anthology
of English Lit. at the library), and certainly in any Blake
collection.
                                 -- Bill Ingogly

goodrum@unc.UUCP (Cloyd Goodrum) (06/05/85)

In article <mako.804> glenm@mako.UUCP (Glen McCluskey) writes:

>Can someone tell me what work the fragment
>
>	...burning bright, in the forests of the night.
>
>is taken from?
>
>	Glen McCluskey
>	..tektronix!mako!glenm

	This is from "The Tiger" by William Blake. The poem begins
		Tiger,tiger burning bright,
		in the forests of the night.
	Ogden Nash wrote an amusing parody of this poem :
		Tiger,tiger my mistake
		I thought you were William Blake.

Cloyd Goodrum III

wjhe@hlexa.UUCP (Bill Hery) (06/05/85)

> Can someone tell me what work the fragment
>
> 	...burning bright, in the forests of the night.
>
> is taken from?

It's from a poem by William Blake.  I'm not sure of the title (Tiger, Tiger?),
but the opening lines are

Tiger, tiger burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame you fearful symmetry.

(or something very close to that)_

Bill Hery

slack@wxlvax.UUCP (Tom Slack) (06/06/85)

> Can someone tell me what work the fragment
>
> 	...burning bright, in the forests of the night.
>
> is taken from?

I don't remember the author (maybe Kipling)
But the rest of it goes.

Tiger, Tiger burning bright, in the forests of the night.

It is near the end of a poem.

Tom Slack

(Oh heck, now I will have to look for it.)

rjw@ptsfc.UUCP (Rod Williams) (06/07/85)

In article <804@mako.UUCP> glenm@mako.UUCP (Glen McCluskey) writes:

>Can someone tell me what work the fragment
>
>	...burning bright, in the forests of the night.
>
>is taken from?

 It's from William Blake's "Tyger, Tyger, burning bright..."
--

 rod williams | {ihnp4,dual}!ptsfa!ptsfc!rjw       ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 -------------------------------------------       ~  gee, toto -    ~
                                                   ~                 ~
  moving from san francisco on may thirteen        ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

todd@reed.UUCP (Todd Ellner) (06/08/85)

> > Can someone tell me what work the fragment
> >
> > 	...burning bright, in the forests of the night.
> >
> > is taken from?
> >
> It's from a poem by William Blake.  I'm not sure of the title (Tiger, Tiger?),
> (or something very close to that)_
>
> Bill Hery

 I believe the actual title is The Tyger.

                           Todd Ellner

srm@nsc.UUCP (Richard Mateosian) (06/09/85)

This happens over and over again.  Next time one of these requests comes
across, let's all refrain from showing off and send mail to the requestor,
who can then post the answer--with variations if appropriate-- to the net.

--
Richard Mateosian
{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!srm    nsc!srm@decwrl.ARPA

training@rtech.UUCP (06/10/85)

> Can someone tell me what work the fragment
>
> 	...burning bright, in the forests of the night.
>
> is taken from?

The complete poem is as follows:

       Tiger Tiger, burning bright
       In the forests of the night
       I wish I may, I wish I might
       Have the wish I wish tonight.

            (wish is made here, silently)

...from William Blake's "A Child's Book of Nursery Rhymes"

Robert Orenstein
Relational Technology

seshadri@t12tst.UUCP (Raghavan Seshadri) (06/12/85)

> From: glenm@mako.UUCP (Glen McCluskey)
> Date: 3 Jun 85 20:59:51 GMT
>
> Can someone tell me what work the fragment
>
> 	...burning bright, in the forests of the night.
>
> is taken from?

 It is from a poem I read many years ago which goes - Tiger,Tiger,Burning bright..etc.I'm not sure about the author though Rudyard Kipling comes to mind.
--
Raghu Seshadri

nelson@cvl.UUCP (Randal Nelson) (06/13/85)

Interesting how the first three lines

  Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
  In the forests of the night,
  What immortal hand or eye

stuck word for word with everyone who responded,
while the three or four different versions of the last
have been given -- the general meaning intact, but the precise
wording changed.

The stanza occurs twice, as the first and last in the poem
with different wordings of the last line.
The first time:

  Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

The second:

  Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?

It is generally supposed that the poem is primarily a portrait
of God one way or another, and the precise wording is significant,
but maybe Blake outdid himself with that glorious image.
The Tyger took over the poem.

                                Randal Nelson