[net.books] what do _you_ think of sf? -- plug for IASFM

west@sdcsla.UUCP (Larry West) (06/02/85)

In article <1459@utah-gr.UUCP> thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) writes:
>There was an interesting "editorial" in the book review column of this
>month's Asimov's SF (don't have it here, so I don't know if it is June,
>July, Aug, or Sept :-).  Recommended reading if you are interested in a
>comparison between "mainstream" and "genre" literature.

The editorial is by Norman Spinrad, and is certainly worth reading.  He
talks about "genre" writers trying to break out into commercial success
and of successful authors moving towards SF-like writing.

One of his more interesting examples was of Norman Mailer.   His book
"Ancient Evenings" was widely criticized (not by everyone, of course)
for historical inaccuracies and other "shortcomings", because the reviewers
did not recognize it as science fiction (by which term I include fantasy
and "speculative fiction" in general).   Not "historical fiction" (yech),
but SF.

I read AE a few years ago, and though I thought the masculine sexuality
was a bit overdone, the writing was very good, and it was definitely
an engrossing story.   (Yeah, that's a double entendre there.)   And it
was also science fiction.   One of the best SF novels I've read.

Anyway, the article is interesting.

ALSO: I highly recommend the magazine: I haven't seen any magazine
(literary or SF) beside Asimov's [well, okay, the New Yorker] which
has so many good stories per year.   Of course there are a few
losers, but generally half of the stories are *excellent*.   One
clue to that is that some of the readers complain about the stories
"not being science fiction".   Indeed, many of the stories would
not fit into any other commercial magazine, and that's part of
the magazine's appeal.

Okay, I stop now.
--

Larry West			Institute for Cognitive Science
(USA+619-)452-6220		UC San Diego (mailcode C-015) [x6220]

mms1646@acf4.UUCP (Michael M. Sykora) (06/16/85)

>/* dat@hpcnoa.UUCP (dat) /  5:20 pm  Jun 13, 1985 */

>	Side note: Any other recommendations on books that deal with
>political problems in a readable way?

>					-- Dave Taylor

I liked the classic "We" also, but I think it suffers (philosophically)
from the same simplistic notions of science that Vonnegut's books that
deal with this subject do.  What I mean is that they blame science,
rather than those who misuse it or those who falsely claim to be using it.

One book in the negative utopia genre that I like a lot is "Anthem" by
Rand.  It is very different from her other books in style (as well as
length).

Also, I read somewhere in a review that H. G. Well's wrote an excellent
novel in this genre, but I don't remember the title.

						Mike Sykora

wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) (06/17/85)

>>	Side note: Any other recommendations on books that deal with
>>political problems in a readable way?

A terrifying and funny satire on governmental bureaucracy out of
control that you might enjoy is "Memoirs Found In A Bathtub," by the
Polish science fiction author Stanislaw Lem.

                         -- Cheers, Bill Ingogly