[net.books] Spanish Civil War

dailey@lasspvax.UUCP (John Dailey) (05/08/85)

               { Hola ! }

Can anyone recommend a good book on the Spanish Civil War ? I am particularly
interested in the various movements involved, like the labor unions( U.G.T.),
the anarchists (C.N.T and the F.A.I.), the facists, and so on. Thanks in
advance.

|				      John H. Dailey                         |
|				      Center for Applied Math.               |
|				      Cornell U.                             |
|				      Ithaca, N.Y. 14853                     |
|		  {decvax,ihnp4,cmcl2,vax135}!cornell!amvax!dailey (USENET)  |
|			     amvax.dailey@cornell.arpa (ARPANET)             |

cw@vaxwaller.UUCP (Carl Weidling) (05/17/85)

	I saw a "Re" on a question about the Spanish Civil War,
but not the original posting.  If someone is looking for recommendations
on books about the Spanish Civil War I recommend "Homage to Catalonia"
by George Orwell.   Orwell fought in the war and was wounded.
			-Regards,
			Carl

allynh@ucbvax.ARPA (Allyn Hardyck) (05/20/85)

In article <331@lasspvax.UUCP> dailey@lasspvax.UUCP (John Dailey) writes:
>Can anyone recommend a good book on the Spanish Civil War ? I am particularly
>interested in the various movements involved, like the labor unions( U.G.T.),
>the anarchists (C.N.T and the F.A.I.), the facists, and so on. Thanks in
>advance.

_Man's Hope_ by Andre Malraux.

thb@unisoft.UUCP (Tim Bessie) (05/22/85)

In article <267@vaxwaller.UUCP> cw@vaxwaller.UUCP (Carl Weidling) writes:
>*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***
>	I saw a "Re" on a question about the Spanish Civil War,
>but not the original posting.  If someone is looking for recommendations
>on books about the Spanish Civil War I recommend "Homage to Catalonia"
>by George Orwell.   Orwell fought in the war and was wounded.
>			-Regards,
>			Carl

As a matter of family pride, I might mention that my grandfather
(Alvah Bessie) fought in the Spanish Civil War as part of the Abraham
Lincoln Brigade (I think Orwell did as well), and has written several
books on it.  "Men in Battle" is a particularly good one.  I don't
know if they are still in print.  If you want one, I might be able to
get you a copy, though (maybe even an autographed one, if you like).

					- Tim Bessie
					UniSoft Corp., Berkeley
					{ucbvax,dual}!unisoft!thb

dailey@cornell.UUCP (John Dailey) (06/21/85)

                    { Hola }

I would like to thank everyone who responded to my request for books on the
Spanish Civil War. My link to net here at Cornell went berserk and I have been
unable until now to respond to everyone's suggestions. I will answer in the
near future those who wrote me. The suggestions have been quite helpful. If
anyone has any more ideas I would love to hear them. My interest in the subject
is purely personal. I spent two years in Spain ( the Basque region ) and became
very familiar with the region's problems. This led to an increased interest in
the civil war. It is a period I find filled with exciting ( and sometimes
tragic ) political experiments and many 'what if-s '. Again, thanks.