[net.books] Sturgeon's Law

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (06/20/85)

There have been references to Theodore Sturgeon recently, and also a few
citations of the famous "Sturgeon's Law". I would like to trace down the
actual origin and exact text of this famous principle.

This is commonly quoted as "90% of *everything* is crap." However, I
have heard that percentage vary from "90%" to "95%" up to "99%". (As
a great truth, I lean toward the "99" being the more correct figure. :-)
(But here I am more interested in what Sturgeon really said.)

Also, the last word has varied from "crap" to "sh*t" (please excuse the
usage, but accuracy is more important here than nicety).

What is the true wording of this famous phrase?

Can anyone cite the actual text where this originated? Or was it of
verbal origin, perhaps in a lecture or talk or in a conversation (maybe
at a con somewhere?) and entered the SF folklore via reporting and
repetition?

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Will Martin

USENET: seismo!brl-bmd!wmartin     or   ARPA/MILNET: wmartin@almsa-1.ARPA

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (06/22/85)

In article <11311@brl-tgr.ARPA> wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) writes:
>There have been references to Theodore Sturgeon recently, and also a few
>citations of the famous "Sturgeon's Law".
>
>What is the true wording of this famous phrase?
>
>Can anyone cite the actual text where this originated? Or was it of
>verbal origin, perhaps in a lecture or talk or in a conversation (maybe
>at a con somewhere?) and entered the SF folklore via reporting and
>repetition?

The way I heard it went something like this:

During a conversation at a party (con?) a rather obnoxious critic  said  to
Ted  "90%  of Science Fiction is crap.".  Ted's immediate reply was the now
famous "Of course. 90% of _everything_ is crap.".

Personally, I like Bradbury's defense better:

"A horrible little boy came up to me and said 'You know your in  your  book
_The  Martian  Chronicles?'.  I  said  'Yes?'.  He said 'You know where you
talk about Diemos rising in the east?'.  I said 'Yes?' He said 'No.' --  So
I hit him."
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI                         Common Sense is what tells you that a ten
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.                pound weight falls ten times as fast as a
Santa Monica, CA  90405              one pound weight.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

barryg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Lee Gold) (06/22/85)

The way I heard it, Sturgeon's Law went, "90% of everything is crud."
(Crap and shit can sometimes be useful, if only as manure.  Crud is by
definition useless.)  If true, this reprents an intereting case of
popular myth cacophemizing a saying.

--Lee Gold

jsc@sun.uucp (James Carrington) (06/23/85)

In article <11311@brl-tgr.ARPA> wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) writes:
>There have been references to Theodore Sturgeon recently, and also a few
>citations of the famous "Sturgeon's Law". I would like to trace down the
>actual origin and exact text of this famous principle.

I hate to post something I can't substantiate right at the moment, but I believe
he said it at a world science fiction convention, while on some panel or another
of sf authors. I recall reading an anecdote about it in one of I. Asimov's
HUGO winners anthologies.

--
James Carrington				SUN Microsystems
Associate Engineer				2550 Garcia Ave. MS1-40