[net.books] Generation Ships

kwc@cvl.UUCP (Kenneth W. Crist Jr.) (07/21/85)

    Would anyone on the net who has read some good novels about ships going
on journeys between the stars at sub-light speeds please send me E-mail
with the titles and authors. I have just finished reading Harlan Ellison
and Edward Bryant's "Phoenix Without Ashes" and would like to read some other
similar stories.
    So far I have only read two, but both have been very good. The other one
is called "Marathon" by D. Alexander Smith. It is about Earth sending out
a sub-light ship on a journey to the first meeting with another race which
also has sub-light ships. The journey takes seven years for the two ships
to meet halfway between their perspective homeworlds.
    "Marathon" starts after the crew, mostly scientists and diplomats, have
been in space for three and a half of those seven years. It is very
interesting how the author handles the effects of such along trip in close
quarters has on the various crewmembers.
    If anyone can take the time to send me some titles and authors I would
really appreciate it.

					Kenneth Crist
					seismo!cvl!kwc
					Computer Vision Lab
					University of Maryland

sommers@topaz.ARPA (Mamaliz @ The Soup Kitchen) (07/23/85)

Two good stories about generation ships are

The Ballad of Beta-2  Samuel Delaney (and not at all like Dhalgren, for
those of you who are scared of Delaney)

Orphan in the Sky ???  RAH (I think this is the title)

--
liz sommers
uucp:   ...{harvard, seismo, ut-sally, sri-iu, ihnp4!packard}!topaz!sommers

brown@utflis.UUCP (Susan Brown) (07/24/85)

In article <655@cvl.UUCP> kwc@cvl.UUCP (Kenneth W. Crist Jr.) writes:
>    Would anyone on the net who has read some good novels about ships going
>on journeys between the stars at sub-light speeds please send me E-mail
>with the titles and authors. I have just finished reading Harlan Ellison
>    If anyone can take the time to send me some titles and authors I would
>really appreciate it.
>					Kenneth Crist

At the risk of being regarded as a Drek-peddler, David Gerrold's "The
Galactic Whirlpool" is a star trek story in which a long-adrift colony
is located by the Enterprise.  It has in effect become a generation ship
with drastic results on the inhabitants.  I will doubtless get the better
of this trade by reading your recommendations.
P.S. Sorry- no e-mail.