[net.books] Leonard Cohen

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (07/19/85)

There is a discussion of Leonard Cohen in net.music.  I think he
also published at least one book.  It's name escapes me--but it is
very strange.  It combines the story of a 18th century American
Indian saint in Canada with the description of a modern set of losers,
one of whom gets crushed by an elevator.

It mixes sex, masochism and religion in a very interesting way.
I particularly remember the characters shooting up Lourdes
water instead of their usual heroin.

Does anyone remember the title?

--

                                     Sue Brezden

Real World: Room 1B17                Net World: ihnp4!drutx!slb
            AT&T Information Systems
            11900 North Pecos
            Westminster, Co. 80234
            (303)538-3829

        Your god may be dead, but mine aren't.

rwh@aesat.UUCP (Russ Herman) (07/21/85)

Leonard Cohen has published two prose works. His first, _The Loving Game_, is
little more than a piece of fluff. The second, which you are referring to,
is entitled _Beautiful Losers_, and is a work which is worthy of the man as
a poet. The skeleton of the book is based in part on Catherine Tekawitha,
an Iroquios convert to Catholicism who martyred herself, and had miracles
attributed to her after her death at age 24 in 1680. Simultaneously it
is about the narrator, a folklorist; his mad dead friend F., and their
shared lover Edith. It also touches tangentially on Quebec politics of the
60's. A segement of the novel was recorded on a Buffy Saint Marie album
as "God is Alive, Magic is Afoot".
--
  ______			Russ Herman
 /      \			{allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!aesat!rwh

goodrum@unc.UUCP (Cloyd Goodrum) (07/29/85)

In article <3288@drutx.UUCP> slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) writes:
>There is a discussion of Leonard Cohen in net.music.  I think he
>also published at least one book.  It's name escapes me--but it is
>very strange.  It combines the story of a 18th century American
>Indian saint in Canada with the description of a modern set of losers,
>one of whom gets crushed by an elevator.
>
>It mixes sex, masochism and religion in a very interesting way.
>I particularly remember the characters shooting up Lourdes
>water instead of their usual heroin.
>
>Does anyone remember the title?
>
>--
	The title is "Beautiful Losers".

>                                     Sue Brezden

				      Cloyd Goodrum III

valerie@sdcc13.UUCP (Valerie Polichar) (08/01/85)

[]
The name of Cohen's first novel was "The Favourite Game", not "The
Loving Game".  I wouldn't call it a piece of fluff, either; it's a
sensitive and very real portrait of a man growing up, searching for an
identity and trying to figure out what love is.

I liked it.