[net.books] Readable Nroff/Troff Manual

tortorino@hamstr.DEC (Sandy @The Puzzle Palace, DTN 264-5977) (08/06/85)

>I've got to learn Nroff/Troff in a hurry, and I find the Nroff/Troff
>User's Manual highly unenlightening.  Does anyone know of a book out
>there that gives a fuller explanation of the subject?  Maybe with some
>good, clear examples?

>                                   Terry Grevstad

While watching my cousin try to assemble a high chair by following the
directions, I made a remark about "unreadable documentation."  Without
even so much as a pause, he retorted, "That's redundant."

	Sandy Tortorino

wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) (08/06/85)

In article <3465@decwrl.UUCP> tortorino@hamstr.DEC writes:

>>I've got to learn Nroff/Troff in a hurry, and I find the Nroff/Troff
>>User's Manual highly unenlightening.  Does anyone know of a book out
>>there that gives a fuller explanation of the subject?  Maybe with some
>>good, clear examples?
>
>>                                   Terry Grevstad
>
>While watching my cousin try to assemble a high chair by following the
>directions, I made a remark about "unreadable documentation."  Without
>even so much as a pause, he retorted, "That's redundant."

Unfortunately, much software documentation is unreadable or unuseable
because many technical people undervalue the importance of
documentation to the user and underestimate the difficulty of
producing first-rate documentation. The situation in shops that
employ technical writers may or may not be better, depending on
factors like salary paid to get and keep first rate technical writers
and the nature of the interactions between programmers/analysts and
writers.

It takes considerable SKILL to produce useable, readable
documentation; when is the industry going to recognize this fact? And
when will technical types realize that a poorly-documented system will
immediately turn a nontechnical user off, no matter how many bells and
whistles the designer has included in the system?

The problem with the Nroff/Troff User's Manual is that it was written
by hackers for hackers. Although NO book on the market is ideal, a
number of texts on UNIX can frequently be found in bookstores like B.
Dalton and Waldenbooks. These texts provide short introductions to
text processing with UNIX. For example:

       STARTING WITH UNIX by Brown

       UNDERSTANDING UNIX by Groff

       INTRODUCING THE UNIX SYSTEM by McGilton & Morgan

       THE UNIX SYSTEM by Bourne

       THE UNIX PRIMER by Lumoto & Lumoto

       THE UNIX PRIMER PLUS by Waite et. al.

       UNIX FOR PEOPLE by Birns et. al.

I'd suggest looking in a few local bookstores to see what's available,
and maybe checking at your local library to see if it has any UNIX
books.

                              -- Cheers, Bill Ingogly