[net.books] John Wyndham detective novels--wanted

saltiel@cdstar.UUCP (Jack Saltiel) (08/15/85)

I have read all of Wyndham's Science Fiction(Day_of_the_Trifids,
The_Chrysalids, etc.,) or all that I know
exists. He is unusual in that genre, in that he write prose
suburbly, (or did when he was alive.) He has also authored a
number of detective novels that are all out of print.
Can anyone identify these works and where I might  find them in
any condition??

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (08/16/85)

> From:	cdstar!saltiel

> I have read all of Wyndham's Science Fiction(Day_of_the_Trifids,
> The_Chrysalids, etc.,) or all that I know
> exists. He is unusual in that genre, in that he write prose
> suburbly, (or did when he was alive.)

That's not as unusual as you might think, but I'll let it pass.

>                                       He has also authored a
> number of detective novels that are all out of print.
> Can anyone identify these works and where I might  find them in
> any condition??

Allen J. Hubin's CRIME FICTION, 1749-1980: A COMPREHENSIVE
BIBLIOGRAPHY (New York: Garland, 1984), which is without
question the best such work in the mystery field, only lists
one detective novel by John Wyndham (real name: John Wyndham
Parkes Lucas Beynon Harris) --- FOUL PLAY SUSPECTED, under the
by-line John Beynon. It was published by Newnes in 1935. Since
Hubin is in the habit of listing both the first US *and* first
UK edition of a book, it's unlikely that there was ever an
American edition. Finding it might prove difficult in the US.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

<"Bibliography is my business">