[net.books] Enid Blyton

rew@cbosgd.UUCP (Bob Warren) (08/19/85)

In article <751@asgb.UUCP> gupta@asgb.UUCP (Yogesh K Gupta) writes:
>I think I read books by an author named "Enid Blayton" (or Blyton) when
>I was a kid. ...
>Does any of the above ring a bell, or is my mind going?

>No, you are still relatively sane.  I read some of the Famous Five series
>when I was a kid, living in England.  The name was Enid Blyton.  I was
>rooting around in my parent's basement a few years ago and came across a
>few of these books.  What crap!  I wish I had just spent my time on
>multiple re-readings of Lord of the Rings and Dune.  Still, it was ok
>stuff at the time.
>Chris J. Valas         {decvax,utzoo,philabs,security,allegra,genrad}!linus!cv

>I'm not sure if you're mixing two authors or not. I am not familiar
>with any of the books you mention above, but I am familiar with Enid Blyton, a
>British author of books for children and young people. When I was a child, I
>read a long series of adventure books by her, all titled THE [something] OF
>ADVENTURE (eg, THE ISLAND OF ADVENTURE, THE CASTLE OF ADVENTURE, etc.).
>All featured the same four children getting into various scrapes with spies,
>smugglers, etc. I recall that one of the boys had a marvelous parrot named
>Kiki, who accompanied the children everywhere and was the most interesting
>character in the books. At least one of the books was made into a movie, but I
>don't know which one.
>Does any of this sound familiar?

>-  From the Crow's Nest  -                      Kenn Barry

Enid Blyton was probably the most prolific author of children's books up to
the present time.  She was definitely British.  Like Kenn Barry, I read and
enjoyed the 'X of Adventure' series.  I have been reading them to my 8-year-old
son recently, and unlike Chris Valas, I think they are good books for kids.
About the only criticism I have is that Ms. Blyton gives more of the action
to the boys and more of the support roles to the girls.  How serious this is
depends on your point of view.  Enid Blyton wrote many 'series' of books--
the Famous Five is only one.  Ms. Blyton died sometime in the '70s--I recall
my Father sent me the obituary.

Bob Warren
cbosgd!rew

'Have you got your Famous Five Club card?'