[net.books] Robert Pirsig

phaedrus@eneevax.UUCP (Pravin) (06/08/85)

Obviously, I am a great fan of this man and his book.  I have searched
high and low for a followup book or anything about this man.  I heard
that he was at the University of Arizona (this was purely rumour).

Does anybody have any info at all about him?  I would really appreciate
any leads that you could give me.  I am particularly interested in any
other books, papers, articles that this man has written/published.

I hope this isn't an old topic.

Thanks,

--
			Pravin Kumar

Don't bother me! I'm on an emergency third rail power trip.

ARPA:   phaedrus!eneevax@maryland
UUCP:   {seismo,allegra,brl-bmd}!umcp-cs!eneevax!phaedrus

kilian@pbsvax.DEC (Michael Kilian/DTN: 225-6017/MS: HLO2-3/M08) (06/11/85)

If Robert Pirsig is the author of _Zen and the Art of Motorcycle
Maintenance_ then I believe he killed himself some time ago. Of course,
I may be greatly exagerating his death.

                                                    Mike Kilian

cjh@petsd.UUCP (Chris Henrich) (06/12/85)

[]
	Robert Pirsig is alive, as far as I know.  However,
his son Chris was killed by muggers a few years ago.  Mr.
Pirsig has remarried and has a daughter.
	My sources: an edition of the _Whole_Earth_Catalog_,
read in late 1982, and an essay by Mr. Pirsig in the _New_
_York_Times_Book_Review_ more recently.

Regards,
Chris

--
Full-Name:  Christopher J. Henrich
UUCP:       ..!(cornell | ariel | ukc | houxz)!vax135!petsd!cjh

cuccia@ucbvax.ARPA (Nick "Coosh" Cuccia) (06/13/85)

In article <2610@decwrl.UUCP> kilian@pbsvax.DEC (Michael Kilian/DTN: 225-6017/MS: HLO2-3/M08) writes:
>If Robert Pirsig is the author of _Zen and the Art of Motorcycle
>Maintenance_ then I believe he killed himself some time ago. Of course,
>I may be greatly exagerating his death.
>
>                                                    Mike Kilian

One of the faculty members here told me that he is working as a technical
writer somewhere in Silicon Valley.  I can try to find out with more
certainty; I want to try to have him talk at one of our IEEE-CS meetings
in the fall here at Cal, if he is in the area..

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Why do most recordings of Beethoven's Ninth sound like MMOs with the
  Choral tenor part missing?				----
						       /\   \
--Nick "Coosh" Cuccia				      /  \   \
--{...}!ucbvax!cuccia  		(USENET)	     /   /\   \
--cuccia%ucbmiro@Berkeley	(Arpanet)	    /___/  \___\

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

rjw@ptsfc.UUCP (06/14/85)

>If Robert Pirsig is the author of _Zen and the Art of Motorcycle
>Maintenance_ then I believe he killed himself some time ago. Of course,
>I may be greatly exagerating his death.
>
>                                                    Mike Kilian

 As far as I know, Robert Pirsig is still with us. His son, however, who
 featured in the book, was murdered about 5 years ago in San Francisco -
 ironically outside the Zen Center, where he was living at the time.
--

 rod williams | {ihnp4,dual}!ptsfa!ptsfc!rjw
 pacific bell |  san ramon  |  california

phaedrus@eneevax.UUCP (Pravin Kumar) (06/17/85)

Hi, Some people wrote to me and asked me to summarize.  So, I am
summarizing...for all of you who thought that he was dead; he's not.
There is an article by him in the New York Times Book Review.  He is
alive in Sweden (at least when the article was written) and has a
daughter named `Nell'.  I know it was written later than 1979, (in the
article, he writes that Chris, his son, was murdered that year) but, I
can't tell you the exact date since I only have a photocopy of the
article.  He was in the process of writing a sequel to ZATAMM.
[Hopefully, it will be published soon.]

For those of you who want to search for the article yourselves, the
title is, "An Author and Father Looks Ahead at the Past."

Anyone who doesn't have access to the NYTBR (or are just too lazy to go
search), please write to me and send me your USnail address.  I will
wait 'til the end of this week, make copies and send them out.

Cheers,
--

jimi@SCIRTP.UUCP (Jim Ingram) (08/19/85)

> Obviously, I am a great fan of this man and his book.  I have searched
> high and low for a followup book or anything about this man.  I heard
> that he was at the University of Arizona (this was purely rumour).
>
> Does anybody have any info at all about him?  I would really appreciate
> any leads that you could give me.  I am particularly interested in any
> other books, papers, articles that this man has written/published.

Oui Magazine published an interview with Persig (correct spelling) in their
Nov. 75 issue. (I found a copy at a local used book store last year.)

I don't recall much of what Persig said, but my general impression was that
he was living off his royalties and continuing to ponder the questions
discussed in _Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance_.

He said he didn't plan to write another book, and that he was very reclusive.

--

	The views expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily
	represent the views of any other individuals or organizations.

Jim Ingram			 {decvax, akgua, ihnp4}!mcnc!rti-sel!scirtp!jimi
SCI Systems, Inc.   	   P.O. Box 12557, RTP, NC 27709            919 549 8334

mlj@mtfmc.UUCP (M.JULIAR) (08/21/85)

The New York Times Book Review published an article by Persig within the
last year.  It was in part, at least, about the death of his son.  I don't
know exactly when it appeared, but it should be very easy to track down
at your local library.