[net.books] Feminist Reading Material Followup

sophie@mnetor.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) (08/28/85)

In article <1539@peora.UUCP> jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) writes:
>Sophie writes:
>> One of my favorite woman writer is Margaret Atwood.
>
>My favorite "woman writer" is Carson McCullers.  I've never understood why
>a female writer has to be sociopolitical in her writings in order to be
>considered good.  (Or to have a name like "Iron".)

Hmmm, I've only read "The heart is a lonely hunter" by Carson
McCullers, which I think is a wonderful book.  If all her other works
are similar to this one, I consider her writings to be very
sociopolitical.  The strongest image I remember from this book was of
the one main black character (a doctor, I think) being shocked as he
witnessed some religious ceremony where other blacks were praying to
become white once in heaven.  Ah, yes, a very good book.  Thanks for
mentioning her.

I feel very uncomfortable about using the term "woman writer", As
though women were of a different species or something.  However, in the
case of Margaret Atwood, I think that the fact that she is a woman is
very important in her work.  Also, the original enquiry was about feminist
fiction, if I remember well.

Joanna Russ discusses this issue of the separation of "woman writers"
in her book: "how to suppress women's writing".  I found her analysis
quite interesting even if a bit skimpy.  It helps put into perspective
the issue of writers being taken seriously when they are women.  Quite
a thorny issue.  There certainly is not a concensus on this issue from
the part of writers who are women either.

>I like Flannery O'Connor, too.  And Eudora Welty.
>
>Try "The Ballad of the Sad Cafe".

Will try.  I will also look up the ones you mentioned.

--
Sophie Quigley
{allegra|decvax|ihnp4|linus|watmath}!utzoo!mnetor!sophie

jagardner@watmath.UUCP (Jim Gardner) (08/30/85)

[...]

An interesting point about "woman writers" that I've noticed in
net.sf-lovers.  When someone prefers the work of female authors
to that of male authors, the person says, "I like women writers."
When someone prefers the work of male authors to that of female
authors, the person says, "I don't like women writers."  For all
the progress we have made, female authors are still the anomaly
that requires comment.

				Jim Gardner, University of Waterloo