[net.books] Earle [sic] Stanley Gardner

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (09/04/85)

> From:	inuxc!lar	(Laura Reid)

> I have begun collecting books by Earle Stanley Garnder.  How can
> I find a complete listing of the Perry Mason books he published
> and what other psuedo-names he wrote under.  One I understand
> is A.A. Fair.

There are two good reference books that'll give you the information you want.
One would hope that any good-sized library would have one or the other of them.

(1) Allen J. Hubin, CRIME FICTION, 1749-1980: A COMPREHENSIVE BIBLIOGRAPHY,
	(New York & London: Garland Publishing, 1984). It's an revised and
	expanded edition of Hubin's THE BIBLIOGRAPHY OF CRIME FICTION, 1749-
	1975.

(2) John M. Reilly (editor), TWENTIETH CENTURY CRIME AND MYSTERY WRITERS,
	(New York: St. Martin's Press, 1980).

You might also take a look in ENCYCLOPEDIA OF MYSTERY AND DETECTION, edited
by Otto Penzler & Chris Steinbrunner (New York: McGraw Hill, 1976). It was
recently reprinted in a trade paperback edition, so you may find it in a
bookstore.

Good luck on your collecting. There's roughly 100 books by Gardner under his
real name, plus about 30 as by A. A. Fair. He only used two other pseudonyms,
Carleton Kendrake and Charles Kenny, for one book each, and both of those
were later reprinted under his real name.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

<"Bibliography is my business">