[net.books] Frank Herbert

phillips@cisden.UUCP (Tom Phillips) (09/03/85)

In article <527@linus.UUCP> cv@linus.UUCP (Chris J. Valas) writes:

>I prefer Dune and Lord of the Rings (among various other reasons) to
>Blytons' works because both Herbert and Tolkien display cogent and
>sweeping imagination, enough to create complete worlds and universes from
>scratch and bring them to life on paper.  A child reading either of these
>books will have his mind stretched in several directions, something
>Blytons' books are too simplistic to provoke.  On the other hand, if the
>objective is to keep the little darlings away from the television until
>after they've had din-din, then Blyton will suffice ....

Excuse me, but Frank Herbert has only written one book.  But he wrote it
over and over and over and ...
I don't mean just that *all* the _Dune_ sequels are trash (anybody care to
argue that point?) but all his other books read like _Dune_.  There is the
same tenseness about small, seemingly insignificant details which could
change the course of history.  It  was interesting in _Dune_, but three or
four books of it is too much.

While we're on the subject, I lost all respect for Frank Herbert after he
told us that the movie they made of _Dune_ was faithful to the book.

					Tommy Phillips

jerry@uwmcsd1.UUCP (Jerry Lieberthal) (09/05/85)

> In article <527@linus.UUCP> cv@linus.UUCP (Chris J. Valas) writes:
> >
> >I prefer Dune and Lord of the Rings (among various other reasons) to
> >Blytons' works because both Herbert and Tolkien display cogent and
> >sweeping imagination, enough to create complete worlds and universes from
> >scratch and bring them to life on paper.  A child reading either of these

> Excuse me, but Frank Herbert has only written one book.  But he wrote it
> over and over and over and ...

That is what they said about Vivaldi .. :-)

		- jerry        ihnp4!uwmcsd1!jerry

inc@fluke.UUCP (Gary Benson) (09/09/85)

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MELANGE ***

> While we're on the subject, I lost all respect for Frank Herbert after he
> told us that the movie they made of _Dune_ was faithful to the book.
>
> 					Tommy Phillips

Well, Tommy, perhaps the movie version wasn't faithful to the book you read,
but to lose respect for a man who says a movie was failthful to the book he
wrote seems pretty outlandish. Maybe you weren't reading what he wrote?

I reread Dune just before seeing the movie, and I was impressed overall by
what a nice job was done. It must be extremely difficult to translate a
novel to the screen, and perhaps this is even more true when the novel has
the kinds of subtleties that Dune had. My only complaint about the movie is
that is seems to have been shot too dark. I agree with the author: the movie
is probably as good a screen translation as can be done.

It strikes me that to disagree with the person who *wrote* the thing is like
saying, "Well, obviously the author isn't aware of the nuances that occur in
his novel". I ask you, who is a better judge than the author? You?

--
 Gary Benson  *  John Fluke Mfg. Co.  *  PO Box C9090  *  Everett WA  *  98206
   MS/232-E  = =   {allegra} {uw-beaver} !fluke!inc   = =   (206)356-5367

cv@linus.UUCP (Chris J. Valas) (09/11/85)

-=-

In article <692@tpvax.fluke.UUCP> inc@fluke.UUCP (Gary Benson) writes:
>*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MELANGE ***
>
>> While we're on the subject, I lost all respect for Frank Herbert after he
>> told us that the movie they made of _Dune_ was faithful to the book.
>>
>> 					Tommy Phillips
>
>Well, Tommy, perhaps the movie version wasn't faithful to the book you read,
>but to lose respect for a man who says a movie was failthful to the book he
>wrote seems pretty outlandish. Maybe you weren't reading what he wrote?
>
>I reread Dune just before seeing the movie, and I was impressed overall by
>what a nice job was done. It must be extremely difficult to translate a
>novel to the screen, and perhaps this is even more true when the novel has
>the kinds of subtleties that Dune had. My only complaint about the movie is
>that is seems to have been shot too dark. I agree with the author: the movie
>is probably as good a screen translation as can be done.
>
>It strikes me that to disagree with the person who *wrote* the thing is like
>saying, "Well, obviously the author isn't aware of the nuances that occur in
>his novel". I ask you, who is a better judge than the author? You?
>--
> Gary Benson  *  John Fluke Mfg. Co.  *  PO Box C9090  *  Everett WA  *  98206
>   MS/232-E  = =   {allegra} {uw-beaver} !fluke!inc   = =   (206)356-5367
> _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-ascii is our god and unix is his profit-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
-=-
Possibly he *is* a better judge, or at least a bit more honest about it...
After all, it's Herbert, not Tommy, who is going to clean up big bills if the
same pack of fools try to film "Dune Messiah" and "Children of Dune."  Of
course he's going to praise it.  Besides which he was a technical
consultant (or something) on the project:  if they boobed it, he's as much
to blame as anyone.

Let's hope they bury the whole mess.

Chris J. Valas         {decvax,utzoo,philabs,security,allegra,genrad}!linus!cv
-=-

west@sdcsla.UUCP (Larry West) (09/12/85)

In article <692@tpvax.fluke.UUCP> inc@fluke.UUCP (Gary Benson) writes:
>> While we're on the subject, I lost all respect for Frank Herbert after he
>> told us that the movie they made of _Dune_ was faithful to the book.
>> 					Tommy Phillips
>
>It strikes me that to disagree with the person who *wrote* the thing is like
>saying, "Well, obviously the author isn't aware of the nuances that occur in
>his novel". I ask you, who is a better judge than the author? You?

Actually, it is often the case that an author is not the best judge
of her or his own work.    Most will admit this (except maybe when it
gets down to specifics, of course;-), as Isaac Asimov did in an
"editorial" in his SF Mag this year.

If you reflect for a while on the processes of writing and publishing,
and the phenomena of popularity and "literary value", I think you'll
agree that a writer -- while possessed of many keen and valuable
insights into her/his writing -- is not the ultimate judge of a
book's value to humanity.   [[Now, did I couch that carefully
enough?   Sofa, so good.]]
--

Larry West				(USA+619-)452-6771
Institute for Cognitive Science		non-business hours: 452-2256

ARPA:	<west@nprdc.ARPA>	or	<west@ucsd.ARPA>
UUCP:	{ucbvax,sdcrdcf,decvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!sdcsla!west
  or	{sun,ulysses}!sdcsla!west

ccrrick@ucdavis.UUCP (Rick Heli) (09/12/85)

> -=-
>
> In article <692@tpvax.fluke.UUCP> inc@fluke.UUCP (Gary Benson) writes:
> >*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MELANGE ***
> >
> >> While we're on the subject, I lost all respect for Frank Herbert after he
> >> told us that the movie they made of _Dune_ was faithful to the book.
> >>
> >> 					Tommy Phillips
> >
> Possibly he *is* a better judge, or at least a bit more honest about it...
> After all, it's Herbert, not Tommy, who is going to clean up big bills if the
> same pack of fools try to film "Dune Messiah" and "Children of Dune."  Of
> course he's going to praise it.  Besides which he was a technical
> consultant (or something) on the project:  if they boobed it, he's as much
> to blame as anyone.

Well, actually, I've heard Herbert since the movie came out and he
sounded distinctly less than thrilled.  It seems that his earlier
raves were based on the rough cut of the movie, rather than the
final version.  Apparently, there was a lot deleted.  He seemed
to think that a mini-series would have made a better vehicle.
--
					--rick heli
					(... ucbvax!ucdavis!groucho!ccrrick)

peter@graffiti.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (09/13/85)

> While we're on the subject, I lost all respect for Frank Herbert after he
> told us that the movie they made of _Dune_ was faithful to the book.

Well, the parts of the book they actually included in the movie were pretty
faithful to it, as long as you ignore the hood-less stillsuits. In fact this
was the real problem with the movie... it would have been better had they
gotten a competant screenwriter to change scenes (though not events) to match
the medium. Harlan Ellison would have been perfect. Then maybe they could have
included the whole story in outline instead of a couple of threads of it in
painstaking detail.

gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) (09/24/85)

--
> While we're on the subject, I lost all respect for Frank Herbert after he
> told us that the movie they made of _Dune_ was faithful to the book.

One theory (that I believe probable) is that Herbert never
wrote "Dune", though he probably did write the silly sequels,
which show an otherwise inexplicable lapse in quality.  Perhaps
he bought the original MS, or won it in a high-stakes poker game.
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

ccs020@ucdavis.UUCP (Kevin Chu) (09/26/85)

[...]
> While we're on the subject, I lost all respect for Frank Herbert after he
> told us that the movie they made of _Dune_ was faithful to the book.

The movie that was filmed WAS pretty close to the book.  If you have seen the
book _The Making of Dune_, you will see that they shot many of the missing
scenes and shot some scenes correctly.  Somewhere between the filming and the
editing, the movie was ruined.  Perhaps someone can collect all of the film
clips and re-edit into a half way decent movie, or TV mini-series of something.

--kevin chu
..ucbvax!ucdavis!vega!ccs020

/ex

coatta@utcsri.UUCP (Terry Coatta) (10/04/85)

I had heard that the raw film from DUNE was going to be turned into a 4-6
hour miniseries for TV, to be released in 1987.  This version (depending on
how much it is made FOR tv) may be much better than the movie due to its
larger size.