[net.books] Books into movies

riddle@im4u.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle) (09/05/85)

I'm about to leave the net in a few more weeks, but for old times' sake I
think I'll see if I can't generate an old-fashioned interesting discussion
before I go.  Here's the 25-cent question:

	What book(s) would you most like to see made into a movie?

You can make any assumptions you like about the quality of production,
director, cast, or adherence to the original.  (In fact, the more
assumptions you make, the more interesting the discussion.)

THE RULES: reply directly to me with simple lists of titles or any
discussion up to a few lines, and I'll summarize to the net in two weeks.
If you want to comment at length, go on and post it yourself, BUT BE SURE
AND CHANGE THE "SUBJECT" LINE to reflect the specifics of your choice.

Have fun.

--- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
--- {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech}!ut-sally!riddle   riddle@ut-sally.UUCP
--- riddle@sally.UTEXAS.EDU, riddle%zotz@ut-sally, riddle%im4u@ut-sally

andrews@ubc-cs.UUCP (Jamie Andrews) (09/24/85)

In article <278@cisden.UUCP> phillips@trantor.UUCP (Tom Phillips) writes:
> ... <some differences between _Dune_ book and movie> ...
>Did you see the "ornithopter" flapping it's wings in the movie?  Did the
>Baron look to you as if he was too fat to walk without suspensor globes?
>The book specifically mentions that the stillsuits were a slick gray
>material, not black leather.
> ... <more differences> ...
     The thing is that these are two different media, which treat stories in
two distinct ways.  It's easy to write a book which accurately follows a movie,
but often almost impossible to make a movie which accurately follows a book.
Everyone has a different idea of how faithfully a book could have been followed;
in this case, the author's opinion happens to be not as hard-line as yours.
     I read that they tried to make the ornithopter wings flap, but it just
looked too hokey on film.  (I thought that the whole idea of ornithopters was
hokey when I first read it!)  As for the black stillsuits - I'm sure that
getting suits of the exact colour mentioned in the book was not a prime
consideration, and certainly can't affect the story line too too much.

>Frank Herbert had a very strong motivation for lying about how good the
>movie was.  Money....
     Why not complain instead about the totally bogus preface that Herbert
put in front of the latest _Dune_ clones?  To paraphrase:  "I did not write
_Dune_ to make money or to interest others.  I wrote it merely because this
story was burning inside me to be Written..."
     Sure.  And my real name's Kchula-Rrit.
     --Jamie.

cipher@mmm.UUCP (Andre Guirard) (10/16/85)

Newsgroups: net.books,net.sf-lovers
Subject: Re: Books into movies
In article <18@ubc-cs.UUCP> andrews@ubc-cs.UUCP (Jamie Andrews) writes:
>>Did you see the "ornithopter" flapping it's wings in the movie?  Did the
>>Baron look to you as if he was too fat to walk without suspensor globes?
>>The book specifically mentions that the stillsuits were a slick gray
>>material, not black leather.
>> ... <more differences> ...
>     The thing is that these are two different media, which treat stories in
>two distinct ways.  It's easy to write a book which accurately follows a movie,
>but often almost impossible to make a movie which accurately follows a book.
>Everyone has a different idea of how faithfully a book could have been followed;
>in this case, the author's opinion happens to be not as hard-line as yours.
>     I read that they tried to make the ornithopter wings flap, but it just
>looked too hokey on film.  (I thought that the whole idea of ornithopters was
>hokey when I first read it!)  As for the black stillsuits - I'm sure that
>getting suits of the exact colour mentioned in the book was not a prime
>consideration, and certainly can't affect the story line too too much.
>                                       ... "I did not write
>_Dune_ to make money or to interest others.  I wrote it merely because this
>story was burning inside me to be Written..."
>     Sure.  And my real name's Kchula-Rrit.
>     --Jamie.

The plot of Dune is really very complex.  I think the problem is that
they tried to make the movie TOO MUCH like the book.  Details like
colors of stillsuits and operation of ornithopters aside, they
apparently attempted to cram in as much of the original as they could,
which is just not the right way to make a movie.  The result, as we
have seen, is complete confusion among those who have not read the book
(and many who have).

I believe Frank Herbert when he says he wrote Dune because it was
"burning inside him to be written" because of the poor quality of most
of the sequels.  These, apparently, he WAS writing for the money.

					Andre Guirard

"What?  What?"