[net.books] Objectivism, mysticism don't mix

mike@hpfcla.UUCP (09/23/85)

This should probably go in net.philosophy,  but I refuse to post  anything
into that epistemological black plague of a notesfile.  As usual, send all
flames to  /dev/null.   Warning:  Those who  are  ardent   followers   and
believers in God(s)  please  press the J key -- there is nothing  here for
you; only the horror of  reality  is  awaiting   you  in  the   subsequent
paragraphs,  and I  certainly   do  not  wish  to  tamper  with   anyone's
self-induced blindness.

Darren Kall writes:

>  For a starting topic I would like to raise consideration
>  of her anti-theistic stance. Is it a necessary premise of
>  Objectivism? Is it a personal dislike she had? Is she in
>  violation of the tenets of her own philosophy by being so
>  anti-theistic?

Objectivism  starts with the primacy of  existence.   Existence  exists --
which means that  something  exists that one can  perceive,   and  that  a
consciousness exists capable of perception.  Existence is identity.  There
is nothing antecedent to existence and nothing apart from it.   To examine
such notions is to formulate anti-concepts -- concepts  having no basis in
reality -- and promptly removes one from the real to the unreal -- from an
entity to a zero.   Existence includes  everything  that was, is, and will
be.   The unreal does not exist -- it is the negation of existence  and is
found only in the minds of those who have abandoned reason.   The spirtual
world does not exist -- it is the deniel of the law of identity,  and thus
the primacy of existence.   Those who ask "Why does existence  exist?", as
if a zero can dominate an entity, have never grasped this axiom qua axiom.
These are the mystics and their  followers  who spend the  bulk  of  their
lives trying to cheat and deny existence.  In Rand's words:

"They want to cheat the axiom of existence  and  consciousness,  they want
 their consciousness to be an instrument not of perceiving but of creating
 existence,  and  existence  to be not the object but the subject of their
 consciousness -- they want to be that God they created in their image and
 likeness, who creates a universe  out of a void by means of an  arbitrary
 whim.   But reality is not to be cheated.   What  they   achieve  is  the
 opposite of their desire.   They want an omnipotent power over existence;
 instead,  they lose the power of their  consciousness.   By  refusing  to
 know, they condemn themselves to the horror of a perpetual unknown."

And further from Rand:

"Rationality is the recognition of the fact that  existence  exists,  that
 nothing can alter the truth, and nothing can take precedence over the act
 of perceiving  it, which is thinking -- that the mind is one's only judge
 of values and one's only guide to action -- that reason  is  an  absolute
 that  permits no  compromise  -- that a  concession  to  the   irrational
 invalidates one's consciousness and turns it from the task of  perceiving
 to the task of faking reality -- that any alleged short-cut to knowledge,
 which is faith, is only a short-circuit  destroying  the mind -- that the
 acceptance  of a mystical  invention  is a wish for the  annihilation  of
 existence and, properly, annhilates one's consciousness."

Objectivism and mysticism are diametrically  opposed by the very  premises
on which they are  founded.   The choice is simple.   Are you going to let
your mind be the judge of your  values, and reason be the  guide  to  your
actions?   Are will you blank out -- letting your feelings substitute  for
knowledge -- letting  your fear of the unknown  destroy  your  capacity to
know -- letting any mystic who claims he "feels" the  presence of God  and
spirits  destroy  your  ability to  distinguish  the real from the unreal,
truth from fantasy,  entity from zero?   Give the  steering  wheel of your
mind to any mystic and this is where he will take you.

Michael Bishop
hplabs!hpfcla!mike-b

colonel@sunybcs.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (10/13/85)

["At last!  My new gorilla-detector machine!  They can't fool me now!"]

> This should probably go in net.philosophy, but I refuse to post anything
> into that epistemological black plague of a notesfile.

Looks as if the plague is spreading ...

Seriously, I agree that objectivism and mysticism are incompatible.
I think that Mr. Bishop is unfair (un-objective?) to mysticism, so here

Rand's identification of existence and perception is plausible at first,
but it ignores the Gestalt principle of perception: that we can
perceive things only as contrasts.  To perceive an apple, or a toothache,
or love, or ghosts, or free will, you must distinguish it from what it
is not.  I suspect that this is what Aristotle meant by the primacy of
dialectic, though he seems to have stood the principle on its head.

Hence all perceived reality is a plexus of relativism.  If you can
accept this--better still, if you can verify it in your own experience--
then the arguments against "anti-concepts" and "unreality" lose their
force.  We are surrounded by things that we can perceive but do not
exist (like Mickey Mouse) or exist but cannot be perceived (like the
Tao).  They nevertheless serve us well, to instruct and entertain us,
and to contrast in a relevant way with reality.  Some of them, for instance
poems, also serve to break down ossified forms of discourse; to distinguish,
as the General Semanticists put it, "the map from the territory."
E. M. Forster, in a celebrated essay, quotes with disapprobation the
platform of the (original) Nazis, to the effect that artists who portray
unrealities are either lying or insane, and in either case ought to be
punished.  I do not know whether Ayn Rand would go so far as Hitler...

On the other hand, Rand appears to share one principle with some
mystics: that you will be happier dwelling among your perceptions than
among your thoughts and abstractions.  This is also a tenet of the
Gestalt school of psychotherapy; if it indeed has therapeutic value (as
I believe), it may account for the evangelical fervor of some
objectivists.

mike@hpfcla.UUCP (10/21/85)

>> This should probably go in net.philosophy, but I refuse to post anything
>> into that epistemological black plague of a notesfile.

> Looks as if the plague is spreading ...

You don't know how far it has spread.

> Rand's identification of existence and perception is plausible at first,
> but it ignores the Gestalt principle of perception: that we can
> perceive things only as contrasts.  To perceive an apple, or a toothache,
> or love, or ghosts, or free will, you must distinguish it from what it
> is not.  I suspect that this is what Aristotle meant by the primacy of
> dialectic, though he seems to have stood the principle on its head.

Perception is a cognitive process fueled by sensory input and controlled
by  discrimination.  This process is a characteristic  of man, but it is
not his  distinguishing  characteristic.  It is possessed  by other life
forms; it is automatic,  absolute, and it is not capable of "distorting"
reality.  When you perceive, you see your subject as distinguished  (not
contrasted)   from  all  other   existents;  you  observe  the  physical
properties  that  distinguish  your  subject  as  a  genuine   existent.
Perception tells you that existents exist, your conceptual faculty tells
you what the existents are.

Man's  distinguishing  characteristic  is his  conceptual  faculty;  his
ability to form concepts out of percepts; to reason about  concepts in a
non-contradictory  way, to  test  his  knowledge  against  an  objective
reality.  Concepts  do not free man  from the  bounds  of  reality,  but
instead  allow  him to  understand  it,  and  thus  use  reality  to his
advantage;  that is, to further  his life.  How good a concept is can be
measured by how closely it tracks reality.  If a contradiction is found,
it's the concept  that's in error, not reality.  Percepts  tells us that
something exists; concepts tell us what it is.

> Hence all perceived reality is a plexus of relativism.  If you can
> accept this--better still, if you can verify it in your own experience--
> then the arguments against "anti-concepts" and "unreality" lose their
> force.  We are surrounded by things that we can perceive but do not
> exist (like Mickey Mouse) or exist but cannot be perceived (like the
> Tao).  They nevertheless serve us well, to instruct and entertain us,
> and to contrast in a relevant way with reality.

To  claim  something  is  perceptible,  but does not  exist is  flagrant
contradiction  in terms.  That which does not exist, has no  properties,
attributes,   or   characteristics.  To  perceive   that  which  has  no
properties,  attributes, or  characteristics  is to perceive nothing; to
perceive  nothing is to contradict the meaning (the concept) of the word
"perceive".  Your cartoon  character  exists qua cartoon  character, and
nothing  more.  Concepts  are not made of rubber; you cannot  invalidate
man's perceptual faculty by asserting that your concept is not concrete;
you have merely tripped (and fallen) on a metaphysical  stepping  stone.
A cartoon character IS a cartoon  character and there is nothing more to
say about it.

To claim  that  something  exists,  but is not  perceptible  is  another
contradiction in terms.  Man's conceptual faculty is fueled by percepts.
To  formulate  a  concept  means  to  integrate  percepts  into a  class
distinguished by some identifying  property(s).  To formulate a concept,
with no percepts  (e.g.  no basis in reality) is to formulate a useless,
unsubstantiated,  unprovable  notion.  People  who say they  "feel"  the
presence of God, the Tao, Jesus, etc., have abandoned  their  perceptual
faculty  and are  using  their  feelings  as  tools  of  cognition.  But
feelings do not tell you the facts of  reality,  they are simply a meter
of your  emotional  well-being.  Feelings  will not tell  you if it will
rain  tomorrow,  feelings will not tell you what is wrong with your T.V.
set,  feelings  will  not  tell  you the  structure  and  properties  of
sub-atomic  particles;  feelings do not tell you ANYTHING about reality.
People who fuel their  conceptual  faculty with feelings  form  concepts
based on their  current  emotional  state.  It is sickening  to hear how
many of these  concepts  (anti-concepts)  abound.  If I were to tell you
that I feel the  presence  of a  super-being  who has five  heads,  eats
asteroids,  and writes  poetry,  are you going to believe  me?  I do not
perceive  such a being  but I claim  that I FEEL  its  presence;  Do you
believe me?  This  super-being has the same  epistemological  stature as
God,  Jesus,  the  Tao, ad  infinitum;  that  is, a  severe  lack of any
perceptible sensory data.  They do not exist.  The burden of proof is on
the one who claims they do.

> On the other hand, Rand appears to share one principle with some
> mystics: that you will be happier dwelling among your perceptions than
> among your thoughts and abstractions.  This is also a tenet of the
> Gestalt school of psychotherapy; if it indeed has therapeutic value (as
> I believe), it may account for the evangelical fervor of some
> objectivists.

This is an  insolent  lie.  Man  cannot  survive  except  by  using  his
conceptual faculty.  Rand was the most ardent advocate of reason in more
than a century.  This is why she appeals to me:

  "Man  cannot  survive  except  through  his  mind.   He  comes to earth
   unarmed.  His brain is his only weapon. Animals  obtain food by force.
   Man has no  fangs,  no horns, no great  strength  of  muscle.  He must
   plant  food or hunt it.  To plant, he needs a process of  thought.  To
   hunt, he needs  weapons,  and to make  weapons--a  process of thought.
   From this  simplest  necessity to the highest  religious  abstraction,
   from the wheel to the skyscraper,  everything we are and everything we
   have  comes  from a  single  attribute  of  man--the  function  of his
   reasoning mind."

From:  The  Fountainhead.  Note  that  the use of the  word  "religious"
above does not refer to the  institution  of  religion  or  contemporary
religious  ideas, but rather man's  exaltation  in  discovering  what is
possible by the efforts of his own mind.

Michael Bishop
hplabs!hpfcla!mike-b